Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

In My Family 100+ Years - Old Spanish Coin 1794

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  6:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ribmat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When my grandfather moved from Spain to far north Queensland in the early 1900's, he brought his wealth with him in the form of gold coins. I don't think he was wealthy, but I believe these placed him in a good position, together with some hard work, to acquire a cane farm near Innisfail. My father told me that his father was a very hard worker. This must have been true and within a few years of his arrival, his family in Spain sent him a bride, my grandmother. I remember when my grandmother died, my father, inherited a bag of these gold coins. I was about 10 and I was amazed by the weight of this bag and also the beauty of the coins within it. My father showed me that some had teeth marks; "gold testing" he said. It upset me that anyone would do this to such a beautiful coin. For some reason my dad did not put them in a safe, he left them in an old metal box under the stairs. You can guess what happened. I don't know how anyone would have known they were there, but my brother and I regularly took them out to look at them and may have told some friends. Anyway one day they were just gone! I hate to think what they would be worth today. The story does improve slightly, fast forward about 40 years and I am reminiscing with my mother about the theft. She recalls how much was lost and she was just left with, in her words, 4 worthless coins. I did not know they existed. She pulled them out and there was one S8 from 1794 and 3 x 25 pesetas from, 1877 1878 and 1880 these would have represented part of the hard work of my great grandfather and was a part of his investment in his son who he sent off to the new world (Australia). But I have always wondered about the date 1794. This coin was already well over a hundred years old when my Grandfather came to Australia. Would it have been typical to use such an old coin to carry your wealth back then? [Pictures Below]
Edited by ribmat
06/20/2019 9:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2507 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat story. Too bad the mother-lode was stolen.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40469 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a shame! Thanks for sharing this story.
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ribmat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some pics of that coin which certainly would have been handled by my great grandfather in Spain more than 100 years ago. But I wonder did coins like this stay in families for generations or was it typical to simply use, as currency, a coin like this back around 1900.

Thanks for your thoughts. I would be grateful for any information on this coin. Soon I will post pics of the other 3.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
527 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i don't know enough to give you a good answer, but that was a great story, keen to hear more.

I would say yes and no, usually not gold coins as what would be quite a wealth person who could do such a thing and they could still be stolen in transit as you would be on a boat for months on end before you end up in Australia. As for whether such coins were pass down through the family or just used as everyday coin, mainly pennies and pences (copper or silver), gold was usually for larger trades or for well off people to use even in the early 1900 (gold is one of the assets that has retained it value).

People usually carry maybe clothes on their backs and some silver coinage as spending money (or to exchange), as for larger amount of money usually transfer in paper form certificates or gold under heavy guard.
Swap list : http://goccf.com/t/334449
Free coins for (post 500)competition
http://goccf.com/t/350686&whichpage=3
Pillar of the Community
Czech Republic
766 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwoKopeiki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great looking 8 Escudos! Loved the story, too. And definitely not worthless.
Pillar of the Community
United States
858 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin! Don't try to clean it....,

Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ribmat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see the allure of coins. The small differences really get you in. Just looking at the Reverse side of the coin, on either side of the symbol right at the bottom is what looks like an "N" and an "R" combined on the left and "J.J." on the right. Except for this, the coin is exactly what https://www.NGCcoin.com/price-guide...IN+8+Escudos says the coin should look like. I would love to know what this difference means? Does it signify where the coin was minted?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1957 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2019  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2019  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many German immigrants to the USA carried gold coins in money belts strapped around their waists.

There was a ship fire and wreck off of Buffalo NY in 1850( I believe it was). Bodies were washed up on the beach afterwards. Some bodies had these belts. The weight of the coins may have led to their drowning.

Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Valued Member
Spain
89 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2019  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NR = Santa Fé de Nuevo Reino, now Bogotá (Colombia). Where it was minted. Nice onza and better story ;)

Those coins were not used as currency on late XIX or XX century, but gold is gold, they use to be kept as savings on lot of spanish families.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05