Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1969 S Lincoln With Proof Edge

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1) BU coins- All except third from the left?

2)Proof coins- the three on the right side in the bottom images?
(If there is only one I will say the third from the right.)
Valued Member
United States
293 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jungliston1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all,
1.BU,PR,PR,PR,BU,PR
2.BU,BU,BU,BU,PR,PR,PR
I only posted here because this is the first coin, I have found, that looks so much like a PR Edge and Rim. Petespockets55, thank you. If this happens to be an Upset Error, is it something that happens often? Could it be a BU blank Planchet accidently prepared to be a PR Blank? Is it a weak Strike Circulated PR, that I am just assuming is a BU coin? Thank you all for the help,
Edward M.
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting because in the top image used for your questions there is one rim that is noticeably thicker and more reflective than the other proofs. (third from the left)

I got back into the hobby 6 years ago and still have a lot to learn myself so I'm not really the one to answer your questions. I'm not sure if any of them might be impaired proofs because some of the one's you labed as proofs are not highly reflective.

There are a lot of knowledgeable collectors here but I think ANACS might be able to attribute it for you and answer your questions definitively. Because of them being more of an attributor supporting the hobby, rather than just slabbing for the $. They are the only ones I know of that attributes all varieties, not just the FS# ones. I think they do errors also or have people who may know and be able to help you.

EDIT: Which of the coins in Group 1 or 2 is the original coin in the thread?
Edited by Petespockets55
06/26/2019 1:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
293 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jungliston1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, In pic 1, it is 5th coin from the Left. In pic 2., it is the 4th coin from the Left.
Edward M.
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's ok. Thanks.

I've heard rumors that some proof dies may have been repurposed for business strike coins but I don't know how true that might be.
(The "Close Am" and "Wide AM" varieties may have added fuel to this rumor since they are proof and business strike reverses that got switched.)
Valued Member
United States
458 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This has been a question of mine for years actually. I've come actoss circulation coins roll hunting that appeared proof like. I think I asked a question here about a week ago on this about anot her cent I came actoss roll hunting.

Answer I was given was likely a new die pair and collar set up or actual "first strike" scenario.

I'm actually more on the belief that San Francisco uses vertiCal presses and P and D use horizontal, and that for whatever the reason the San Francisco strike is better in some situation even on coins without the S mint mark when they made some business coins to help out. A difference in the press and pressure set up on those first initial few.

Another theory I have is that they are double struck but they don't move, in the same way a proof is made, but the planchet doesn't get the finishing treatment that the proof coin planchet would get.

I don't have an answer really just more questions.
Valued Member
United States
458 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://goccf.com/t/349406

It was here on this thread in modern coins forum on here. 1991P, pictures are a couple comments down.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1785 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was asked to contribute to this thread. With respect to the 1969-S cent with the "proof-like" edge and rim, all I see is a well-struck business strike. When coin metal completely fills the rim gutter, you end up with a wide edge and a sharp rim/edge junction.

One other thing. There is no practical way to distinguish between a proof planchet and a business strike planchet once a coin is struck. The strike smooths-out any differences in finish and surface texture.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Edited by mikediamond
06/26/2019 2:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One other thing. There is no practical way to distinguish between a proof planchet and a business strike planchet once a coin is struck. The strike smooths-out any differences in finish and surface texture.

Thanks Mike but I'm not understanding something correctly and I'm not sure how to word the question.
Aren't both types of planchets prepared differently to attain their respective finishes?

So are you saying that a proof planchet and a business strike planchet will look the same if both are struck by proof dies. (They will end up looking like proof coins?)

And the same combination of planchets will look the same if struck by business dies? (They will end up looking like business strike coins?)

Pillar of the Community
United States
1785 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The proof finish is imparted by the highly polished proof dies. I really don't understand the point of polishing the proof planchets. There may be a slight difference in finish noticeable between business strikes struck on normal planchets and business strikes struck on proof planchets, but it's probably quite subtle and not consistently present. I could be wrong, of course.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again for helping me get a better understanding.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05