Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2007 P Jefferson Nickel Reverse Error?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  9:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Methuselah to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was hoping someone may shine some insite into this nickel. I have only recently restarted my grandfather's coin collection that I used to help him with as a kid...so I happened to notice this coin and it looked a little odd, so here's to those little oddities...thanks for any help

Matt

Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lincoln on the obverse of a nickel is definitely uncommon. Otherwise it looks like your average worn-die, circulated nickel. What error are you seeing?
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Methuselah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hahaha...sorry about the penny, I thought I had selected another pic, so I'll remove it...some of the lettering on the reverse of the nickel looks like they were perhaps doubled...totally unsure, but yeah, the circulation wear is apparent without the zooming, but the camera flash may have hindered some of the visuals...I'll see if I can get some cleaner shots...I have a coin scope for the phone coming in the mail soon...until then,I'll try and get something better to look at
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Methuselah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the quick response also
Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, lots of sloppy looking nickels out there. When I first got a scope it took me awhile to get pics without glare. Try using either natural light or shine artificial light through a piece of paper so the light is scattered. And, welcome to the group.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Methuselah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Nick...and I'll give that a try with the lighting sometime tomorrow during lunch break maybe, but at least by dinner tomorrow evening, hopefully it will help give a better look at the reverse
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
21627 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF!
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1988 P LMC RDV-006, 1998 P LMC Wide AM, and 2000 P LMC Wide AM. http://goccf.com/t/327834 http://goccf.com/t/294303 http://goccf.com/t/312900
1973 D Lincoln Memorial cent With Recurring Die Subsidence Error Information. http://goccf.com/t/304624
Machine Doubling tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  04:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Methuselah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Errers...that helped massively!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11977 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@meth, first welcome to CCF. Second, I do see what appears to be a little die deterioration doubling on some of the letters, such as R and I of AMERICA. As @nick10 pointed out, glare from multiple light sources can also make it look like there is doubling.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Methuselah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcome guys, and thank you for all this information on the differences to look for in errors...let me ask you guys a question...ever had your's or another bank just tell you "no, we dont do any change orders, only one branch deals with the paper rolls"? For doing any kind of roll hunting...any particular denomination that tends to yield better results? ...I know, that was two questions...sorry guys!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37850 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Methuselah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hahaha @Coinfrog...would save you guys a ton of time if they just put that at the beginning before anyone even types a post...but my luck...there actually is something saying something similar and such, but I, being too impatient, decided to read over things and stare straight ahead with that glazed over look in my eyes...but thanks all the same everyone!
Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since it costs banks to supply coinage I make coin requests only after doing another transaction so that the teller is reminded I'm a customer. I've never requested more than one box per visit.

After having searched a number of boxes the boxes started feeling like too much work so now I ask for just a few rolls. If you find a bank that's helpful to you, bring a small gift to the tellers during holiday season, something they all can share like a nice box of food or candy or similar. Since few people do that the tellers will remember you fondly during the following year, and might save you interesting coins they see come in. Be polite and friendly and you'll be rewarded.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Methuselah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perfect advice...I will definitely try that out! You guys are awesome...thanks for all the advice, and totally glad I joined the CoinCommunity!
Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As for denomination, lots of people search halves for 1970 and earlier coins with silver. That supply of silver is diminishing due to those efforts so you won't find as much silver as you would have 10 years ago.

If you like finding older coins, nickels are your best bet. You can even assemble a full set of Jeffersons from 1938 to present, though I'd estimate it will take you upwards of 100 boxes (200,000 coins) for all the key dates. After such an undertaking you will be able to correctly guess the date, within 1 year, of a nickel simply by looking at its reverse.

Quarters will net you low mintage coins but with so many designs during the past 20 years it's tough to develop the skill to quickly spot unusual examples.

I'd say choose the denomination that seems like most fun to you. You can always switch to a different one during the next bank visit.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Methuselah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nick...you need a new best friend? Haha...thank you again for all the insights and advice on how to approach starting my grandpa's coin collection again, now that he's gone, I'll do what I can to take over for him...I do have a lot yet to go through, I have a small pail filled with nothing but the wheats that I haven't even pulled a single penny to check yet...but thanks again...all the help has been very greatly appreciated
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05