Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

CCn Error And Varieties Column

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
730 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2019  9:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I read in a recent column in CCN by John Regitko that he will be offering all 260 articles he has written on errors and varieties in a limited printing for around $60 plus shipping. he will only do this if he gets enough people interested. I am interested because there isn't a lot of published info on Canadian errors that is easily accessible.

now I know he isn't everyone's favourite and some of his columns contain misinformation about some errors (or not errors at all!) but if it wasn't for John, I wouldn't be an error collector today. in order to get in on this, you will need to email him and let him know.

if you want his email address, please message me or you can find it at the end of one of his articles in CCN. I would post it here but I don't believe that the rules allow it.

cheers!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2588 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2019  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John Regitko has 11' pole marks all over him. His column is one of the reasons (and a big one)that I stopped my CCN subscription. I'm glad that you discovered Canadian errors (and varieties) and I really enjoy your posts.
Valued Member
Canada
380 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2019  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John wrote about my two error coins I discussed with him. I thought that was cool. I'm not an error collector though so won't be looking to buy the printing.
Learn More...
Canada
8610 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2019  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No comment... last time I voiced my opinion here on CCF pertaining to that column, John saw fit to reproduce my comments (as well as Mike Marshall's) verbatim in his error column... (June 4, 2013 issue of CCN).

I shrugged it off... as Bill Cross later told me, "At least you gave him something to write about..."

While I don't begrudge the exposure he has given to the Canadian error collecting community, If you really want to learn more about errors, join CONECA and Errorscope is their journal publication. John really only scratches the surface on the complexity of some of the crazy errors that are hidden in collections out there...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1327 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2019  01:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't buy it because the information is currently out there, is readily available on the subject of errors and varieties
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1507 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2019  11:54 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am with SPP on this one.........I must be getting old
Learn More...
Canada
8610 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2019  12:50 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the risk of getting chastised in print in future columns, the CCN issue released this week (July 23rd issue) is a perfect example... of how wrong his explanations are:

An extremely verbose attempt of trying to reverse engineer something that is actually much simpler, if one understands the flow of metal when coins are struck. What I see in the photo, was not even mentioned:

1. strong reverse rim fin
2. ghosting effect

That 2008 10c is a uniface strike from the result of two planchets stacked in the striking chamber. The strong rim fin on the reverse and poorly developed rim on the obverse, shows this, and the fuzzy image of the Queen (in normal orientation) and the Bluenose (in mirror image) is a product of a phenomena called "ghosting" due to the flow of metal into the dies on the opposite side of the coin (mirror image Bluenose) and the other planchet under the coin (normal image Queen)... Mike Diamond has explained in articles online, how ghosting works, and in thinner coins, it can even be sharper...

That said, brockages and even counter-brockages, have sharp images, even with die caps that expand. Examples here:

Full image brockage (June 2019 Torex Auction): https://auctions.canadiancoinsandpa.../195/lot/382

Mid-stage, expanded mirror brockage (June 2019 Torex Auction): https://auctions.canadiancoinsandpa.../195/lot/402

Late stage counter-brockage: https://www.PCGS.com/cert/37951198

Brockage and counter-brockage images can greatly expand, yet still have sharp details. Note that ghosting images are NEVER expanded... it is metal flow transfer from the opposing die. In fact, this phenomena is best seen on early King George V Pennies from Great Britain.

I have several modern 1-cent coins, that look exactly like that 2008 10c in that upcoming CCN article, with even stronger reverse rim finning (struck on softer Cu-plated zinc planchets) - most certainly not struck through cloth or a rag (which imparts a "fabric" on the coin's surface). Here is an example:

https://www.PCGS.com/cert/32960832

The "image" you see on the uniface obverse of that 1-cent, is the ghosting of the Queen.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
8610 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2019  01:31 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another example of a ghosting effect (not a brockage), from the most recent Torex Auction (even CCCS got this one wrong):

https://auctions.canadiancoinsandpa.../195/lot/380

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2588 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2019  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, SPP. It's always satisfying on these boards to listen to someone who knows his stuff and is actually correct in their explanations. I also enjoy Mr Regitko getting a few more pitchfork jabs in what must be a severely scarred up back.
Edited by okiecoiner
07/03/2019 07:35 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
730 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2019  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with all of the opinions here and this forum is where I go for the opinions of experts and fellow collectors, as well as discussions on errors.

as far as John's columns go, I will still buy this because I have followed him (sporadically because I buy the CCN at a local shop and have missed at least half of the issues) and I enjoy the read, good, bad, or incorrect. This is the only way to catch up on the missed articles and puts them all in one edition for me.

Plus I like reading real books and print so I won't have to read this off a phone or tablet!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7629 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2019  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I enjoy the read.
I expect it to be informative rather than authoritative.
Look at how much misinformation was published in Zoell's pamphlets.
Yet no one will try to steer us away from purchasing those.
Despite the misinformation, I'm sure there is something useful there as well.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
07/07/2019 6:12 pm
Valued Member
Canada
56 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fenian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 10 cent piece that looks exactly like the one from the Torex auction.

Maybe it is ghosting? I should bring it with me to the RCNA convention next week. Let an expert have a look at it.

I enjoy the photos in his columns but the writing not as much.
Learn More...
Canada
8610 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Show it to Henry at the RCNA (past president of RCNA)... Steve Bromberg is also one of the few coin dealers who knows his errors pretty well...

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
8610 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone download and read the column in Oct 15 issue yet?

You can probably hear my head banging off my desk across the country... so embarrassing for Canadian error collectors...

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
730 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually drop by the LCS to pick up an issue so no...any insights? lol
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05