Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

This Prutah Is Driving Me Crazy! Can Anyone Help With The Id?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  9:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add turtlefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey All!

I picked up a small lot of prutah and this is the only one that I have left to ID. All of the other ones were pretty easy. This one, on the other hand, is not easy for me. My best guess is Aristobulus I but I don't think I am right. Some of the letters are not right and besides, I couldn't get that fortunate.

If anyone can tell me what it is, will you also please tell me what gave it away?

Please forgive the color of the first image. I forgot to set the color correction for my lighting.

Thanks,
Doug

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
580 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just in case anyone wants to help this member out: (I have a bunch I move to the back of the shelf and resist listing as I know the pain involved in being "sure" 100% of these! You almost have to eliminate the rest to feel confident I have found. I might try tomorrow if no one helps.....)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/n...dean%20Coins
Learn More...
United States
22668 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a lot of attention was used to strike these coins so most are struck off centered.From what I can tell from my copy of Hendin it is H-1141, John Hyrcanus (Yehohanan). Paleo Hebrew legend: Yehohnan te high Priest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4509 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was just about to chime in with the suggestion of Hendin 1141, but Ron beat me to it.

For comparison, below. There is enough concordance in the four-line legend to make the call, I believe. Especially given the "unusual epigraphy" and crudeness in the transcriptions, as Hendin states.

Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtlefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for the assistance on this coin. I appreciate it. Hendin 1141 it is. I really, really appreciate the help.
Israel
2 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reposting due to Hebrew characters displayed as gibberish:

Sorry I am late in this reply, but I just saw this question on google when searching for a similar coin. The coin in question is type "Hendin 1144", of Alexander Jannaeus (YHWNTN). This particular type has a "font" similar to Hendin 1143, of Judah Aristobulus I (YHWDH). The most distinguishing feature is that the second line of the inscription starts (on the right hand side, Hebrew reads right to left) with the letter T which in this font looks like an "x". It is indeed similar to Hendin 1141, as observed in the other comments, but that's because there is very little difference between the coins of John Hyrcanus (YHWHNN) and Alexander Jannaeus (YHWNTN) except for the last letter of the first line (off flan) and the first two letters of the second line.
Learn More...
United States
79239 Posts
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtlefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the great information! I appreciate it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05