Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do Canadian Trends Or Charlton Prices Mean Anything?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  12:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Seems like more often than not, coins in real auctions go for far less than prices in the "book". Oh, I almost forgot, you do see those high prices on Buy it Now stuff on eBay. I hope that is not what they are using when they publish trends.

I would say that ultra rare or super high quality beauties are the exception.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I try to get a feel for the range within a certain condition...I live in the US and subscribe to Canadian Trends...I also have a Charlton cat.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2616 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to get a feel for what Canadian coins actually sell for (not what's in Trends), you have to go to the Ebay "sold" section by going to the "advanced" link upper right. Then scroll down to get the "sold" coins for your specific coin search. In my experience, you can USUALLY get coins for about 70% of Trends, as a rule, at most larger coin shows ... ask for it. "Trends" has always been written and updated by dealers, so guess where the lean on prices is.
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You sure don't want to go by the asking prices! It amazes me that folks would spend so much time creating an eBay listing, and then ask a price that nobody will pay.

I really cringe when I see what they are asking for circulated slabbed 1932 far 2 nickels.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1001 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out the coinsandcanada.com go to the auction prices, this is what things are actually selling for. They also list the catalog price.

I usually aim for 50% of trends/chareltons/catalog +/-15%. Depending on rarity, sometimes I'll go higher.
Edited by purelywasted
07/06/2019 3:37 pm
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wasted - thanks for the tip. I had been to the site along time ago but didn't know about the auction prices realized. Great resource.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2535 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2019  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you have to keep in mind, that when you are seeing coins go for around 50% of trends, that they are usually not very eye appealing, hence the lower price, if you are looking at great examples, then the price is closer to 90% of trends, and keys and semi keys, close to full trends..

But with time and perseverance there are deals out there, Most seller's myself included list at trends or close, then enable best offers, so a buyer can offer what they feel is fair..

The true value of a coin is when a seller and a buyer meet at a price, that both feel good about, I consider trends a starting point..for negotiations..
Valued Member
Canada
395 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have to remember that trends prices are for problem-free coins. There are a lot of older coins that get listed that have been cleaned or have a scratch, dings etc. These tend to go for 50-60% or so of trends. Nice examples of Victorian silver can be hard to come by depending on the date. These may go closer to 100% of trends, depending on demand at the time.

Personally I subtract tax and shipping from the full trends price, then still try to get a discount on top of that. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2221 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They sure do, about 25% less (at least!) than you think.

Sorry, but I have to laugh at the opinion that 90% to 100% is still possible.

Maybe for a few isolated examples, but I'm talking about the average good quality coins.

Prior to 2008, as an example, KGVI quarters in ICCS ms64 and ms65 grades were selling for anywhere between 80% and 125% of trends on Ebay.

Go have a look now what they're realizing on Ebay to prove my point.

The market is extremely depressed right now.

Don't have any dealer tell you different.

The one upside is it is a very good time to be a collector right now, but make sure your decision to collect is for the love of numismatics, not the potential for profit.
Edited by doubleeagle59
07/10/2019 09:18 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
572 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is my example: I saw a high grade Canadian TPG variety at a coin show and the dealer refused to budge from Trends. Then they basically ignored me (a customer!). So a few months ago I purchased the same problem free coin and grade for 55% of Trends.

I'm very happy to get a coin I've been after for a long time. That dealer lost my business because I was prepared to buy just not at the unrealistic inflated Trends "price".

Yes it is definitely a very good time to be a collector. Cheers!

Valued Member
Canada
395 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're right that 90-100% is the exception. Often it happens for coins that don't come up too often and there is a bidding war. I'm a net buyer so no complaints from me.
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought this one ( I liked the toning) last month for $6 total. Got several others ICCS graded for about the same price and quality of KGVI silver. Not much above melt. Why do folks waste their money getting these certified?

And the KGV 1933 nickel (different post) came and it is just as nice as the picture shows. Solid XF or better at $12.99. And nicer than the slabbed "AU55" that is on eBay now for $80
Edited by John K
07/10/2019 3:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bid on over 300 coins in an auction yesterday. Got ZIP. All the slabbed Canadian coins went for near trends. Many 1 & 5 cent coins in high grade.

What really don't look right is a 1913 $10 PCGS 64 that went for $5870 CN including buyer's premium. These $5 & $10 gold are for sale in many places at much lower prices.

here is just one https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Canada-...173428972631

I emailed the auction to see if I overlooked something but have not heard back.
Edited by John K
07/14/2019 9:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1001 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What auction site were you on?

There are plenty of shill bidding auctions that continue to relist same items over and over. I recently wasted my time/effort bidding in one. It was on icollector and based in Westlake, forgot auction house name
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The market is extremely depressed right now.

Don't have any dealer tell you different.

@doubleeagle59,

The market is soft across the board, and almost bottomless for details coins or coins lacking eye appeal. I am both a longtime collector and vest pocket dealer. From the collecting perspective, there is plenty of negotiating room. From a dealer perspective, it is getting a bit scary. I remember the crash in the 1980s, and this is starting to have some of the same feel.
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What auction site were you on?

There are plenty of shill bidding auctions that continue to relist same items over and over. I recently wasted my time/effort bidding in one. It was on icollector and based in Westlake, forgot auction house name

icollector.com Medicine Hat Auctions
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05