Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1865 Two Cent RPD (Need Help With RPD Ident)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2928 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  10:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good day all,

It's been a while but I'm baaack. I recently de-albumed my Type Set (3030) and shipped most coins off to NGC (I had free grades available). One of the coins I shipped was/is a beautiful 1865 Two Cent. The coin came back as a MS-64RB. That's an accurate grade I'm thinking, but, after looking at the coin closely, I noted that it had a ridiculously strong RPD. The upper loop of a misplaced "8" is extremely evident under magnification. I could not find it in the "Cherry Pickers Guide" so I'm here for help (Westcoin, etc.). Any help would be greatly appreciated. PG

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  10:48 am  Show Profile   Check Redifin's eBay Listings Check Redifin's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Redifin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi! Welcome back! What a awesome grade for a 2 cent. Quick question, could you take another few pictures with various angles of light? There's some glare for me personally.

Furthermore, I personally believe listings are not as complete for less easily collected coins such as these (unlike the ever popular wheatie), so regardless of the verdict that comes, your chances are better than others.
1. I'm no expert but I'll give my two cents.

2.My favorite coin so far: 1913 Buffalo nickel matte proof type II reverse
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2928 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some more shots of the coin, hopefully "All the better to see you with, my Dear"....

Edited by paleoguy45
07/09/2019 12:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Redifin's eBay Listings Check Redifin's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Redifin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous coin sir.

The case is making too much of a glare. I do see something, some additional mass there. I can't tell it's doubled or RPD or RPL. In any case, it's something, I just don't know what

Edited by Redifin
07/09/2019 1:33 pm
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Redifin's eBay Listings Check Redifin's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Redifin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2928 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm afraid that's not it Redifin. The one you indicate is a "Fancy 5" and my coin has the standard "5". Also, mine does not have the doubling of the first digit above the "1". We'll keep looking!
Edited by paleoguy45
07/09/2019 2:17 pm
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Check Redifin's eBay Listings Check Redifin's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Redifin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yours is a plain 5! Sorry I missed it, but that's for your gain isn't it? :)

Pillar of the Community
United States
6898 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pretty sure we've nailed this one down, I'll let paleoguy post the findings.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2928 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With great help from Westcoin, we've identified it as the RPD-004 variety. It's not the rarest, but definitely interesting with all the "stuff" going on. Those dies must have been prepped after a long holiday weekend.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05