Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Kind Of Boxes Were Mint Coins Shipped In 1953 And Earlier?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
949 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  3:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently purchased a set of 1953 coins and the seller indicated they came with the original small mint box (not a special presentation case).

The plastic sleeves contained individual coins, but they were open. The plastic feels similar to the early PL sets, but that was probably the standard plastic back then. The sleeves perfectly match the size of the box and it looks like the sleeves were all stapled together. Thoughts?

Will post pictures of coins at a later date.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4489 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep...those were the boxes and packaging used up until 1955 for proof sets. 1955 proof sets were shipped in both boxes and in Mylar flat packs that year.

Sometime during 1955 the mint changed over to "flat packs" and those were used up through 1964. The mint started using the hard plastic cases for proof sets in 1968.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1388 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen a similar box for 1953 sets in Red
Pillar of the Community
Canada
949 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool. Thanks for the replies, will post photos of coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4489 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wasted....I'm sorry but my reply was referencing US sets. I would imagine that Canadian sets had a similar type of changeover though.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05