Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Good Day. 1964 Set, No Mint Mark And As Described. SMS?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  01:49 am  Show Profile   Check Gincoin43's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 64 on the SMS half dollar has an aberration below the right most point of the 4 and are supposed to have a different finish.

It's really small, but I don't see it on yours.

It would be odd to find one as I believe most were purchased from an estate by a single collector.
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Standfast for that image of the holder and package.

I hadn't been able to find one previously. Was it from a Stacks Bower Auction?
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MJD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have no first hand knowledge of their appearance, but I found this pic online.

I doubt if this picture is authentic. By virtually all accounts, the 64 SMS coins were test strikes. Because they were never intended to be released to the general public, there was no need to package them.

Also, the picture shows the hard plastic holder which was not introduced until the 1966 SMS releases (1965 SMS coins still used the earlier proof style flat pack). It would be an easy matter to open a 1966 plastic case and insert ordinary 1964 coins.
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The five coins were offered in a nondescript snap-tight plastic coin holder.

Big Kingdom, where did you find this information about the packaging for the 1964 SMS sets?
Was it in the same Stacks Bowers auction description?
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MJD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is from the Coinweek article:

"Only 12 of the unofficial "Special Mint Sets"-assembled a year before the United States Mint began to sell Special Mint Sets officially to the public-are known to exist. Unlike the official consumer products issued a year later, the Special Strike 1964 sets were not put together in pliofilm packaging - though they do share the sharp detail and satiny surfaces in common with the later releases."

https://coinweek.com/auctions-news/...collections/

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2505 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and finding a whole set 1964 SMS to cherry pick would be about the same odds as the entire universe collapsing 5 seconds after you read this.

I quietly counted to five in my head after reading that. Then I breathed a sigh of relief.
Pillar of the Community
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Petespockets55, that particular quote was from Coin Week. the article was about a 1964 SMS half that sold in a 1996 Long Beach Expo U.S. Signature Auction.
That article says about the earliest appearance of them in a sale was "June 1991 appearance of the 1964 SMS Kennedy half dollar, when an unusual five-piece set of 1964 Philadelphia-Mint coins was offered in a Stack's sale."
The article seems to suggest that was the very first offering of them on record about 2 years before it became more generally known to exist.

If you search that quote, I'm sure it will bring you to that article from coin week. it's an interestign read. I also don't know if there are 12 complete sets, but seems like for sure there are 12 half dollars, and all the rest of them after that on population reports ect from the grading companies are re-submissions hoping for a better grade or to change the slab over.
Pillar of the Community
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BigSilver, I hoped someone would LOL

If it makes you feel any better if that actually happened, pretty sure everything would just cease to exist and it wouldn't be painful at all!

Don't hold me to that though, I'm not an astrophysicist. hahahha
Canada
36 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much, everybody.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hullamania to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The nickel looks circulated, although it could be the packaging.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05