Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Would You Store These Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  9:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JDcompy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, I have these 1oz copper rounds. They are for my personal enjoyment but I want them to stay fresh and pretty looking :)

What are your thoughts about 2x2 flips? (or rather, 2.5x2.5) - the cardboard flips with Mylar (NOT PVC)

I know round AirTite coin capsules are "air tight" but I like the look of the coins in binders, in pocket pages, in the white 2.5x2.5s.

My concern is, they will tarnish quickly and I don't want that. But, ever since I was a kid, every coin shop and coin collector I've ever known has used 2x2 flips (except for their $10,000 coins).

Thoughts? Are the flips okay? Or, a mistake?

Thank you!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12049 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you keep your flips in a relatively dry (i.e. low humidity) environment?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Check Redifin's eBay Listings Check Redifin's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Redifin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2x2s with clear packing tape to keep the air out and it should be fine I think.
1. I'm no expert but I'll give my two cents.

2.My favorite coin so far: 1913 Buffalo nickel matte proof type II reverse
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12139 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Copper is the hardest to store, the steps you need to take to keep it red will to some extent depend where you live. Someone in Arizona would have a much easier time than say someone in Hawaii. The flips themselves are okay, not the best but they can work and are a good value vs buying capsules or slabbing everyone of them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9816 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  03:33 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are they Zombucks?

I have about a dozen 1 oz copper rounds and most are Zombucks. They are all in capsules and in 12-pocket binder pages (to fit 2.5x2.5 holders). They slip out sometimes depending on how the page is turned, but they are protected.

I don't really see putting these rounds into a 2x2. The problem is the thickness. They will stress the mylar and cardboard when closed and there is no seal.

I would go for capsules.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
07/11/2019 03:34 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28055 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not recommending seller,just giving you an idea https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5x2-5-Sa...AOSwF59clrVk
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15558 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Air tight hard acrylic capsules are the best way to stop them from toning. I believe copper rounds look better if not toned.
For most, the value of a copper round is not worth the protection as mentioned above.

Something that no one else would have considered is to spray them with clear acrylic spray coating, but there is a problem with this sort of protection:
The coating can easily chip off in patches and leave a very unsightly coin, as toning subsequently proceeds.
This can be remedied by placing the sprayed coin between two thin sheets of acrylic plastic recovered from food containers that are found in supermarkets.

The clear coat acrylic spray coating is very easily removed with acetone.

You then put the whole lot into a 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" cardboard Mylar flip.
2 1/2" x 2 1/2" pocket album pages are available.

Copper rounds can be stored in tubes, but they all have to be of the same diameter, that fits the tube.
That is rather restrictive, and makes collecting difficult.

Edited by sel_69l
07/11/2019 05:33 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11014 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't like using flips for any uncirculated coins no matter their composition . They are for short term use only . I have a bunch of Copper rounds that I bought 4 years ago .I am not displaying them so I wrapped them in old anti tarnish tissue that I kept from my early days of collecting and then into a sealed cardboard box . they will only be taken out of their entombment by my Grandkids when the time comes . Hope fully they will say WOW !, look at these shiny coins .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15558 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  04:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cardboard Mylar flips are OK but it then becomes essential to use NON PVC album pages, for the whole storage system be be effective.

If living in a humid climate albums should be kept in large clip lock polyethylene bags.
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can use 2x2 or 2.5x2.5 Saflips, which are completely made of Mylar. Put the coin in one side, heat seal it. Now it is essentially air tite. Put a card on the other side and write down whatever you want. That is what I do for things I want to put in albums. I use polypropylene album pages.

I also use air tite capsules alot. For those I want to put in albums, I get blank CAPs albums. Others, I just store in tubes. There are other products you can use with albums for air tites as well.

One thing I wouldn't recommend is storing copper and silver rounds together in tubes. If a little moisture got in there, I would be concerned of galvanic corrosion due to dissimilar metals.

For some things, like nickels, I do use the cardboard flips you staple. I use a special stapler that staples flat.

So, in summary for what I collect. Nickels, ancient denari, and 3 cents in cardboard 2x2 unless expensive, then Saflips. Half dollars and Eisenhower dollars in CAPS album. Some are also in Saflips. Common silver bullion in mint tubes. Special silver bullion in air tites stored in tubes. Morgan and Peace dollars in Saflips. I still keep stuff from US Mint in its ogp. - that might be a mistake. Slabbed coins, of which I don't have alot, in clamshell pages.

Incidently, I do have a couple dozen or so copper rounds. Most are in airtites stored in tubes. Some are in tubes. I have the copper because of the designs I like, I think buying copper rounds as an investment because you think copper prices are going to rise is very questionable. Copper is at $3 a pound and a 0.99 dollar round price is typical. Sometimes the price is about $1.49 Copper would have to rise to $16 to $24 to break even. I know you are not doing that but I'm just mentioning it because I see people talking about it.
Edited by HappyHippo
07/12/2019 08:05 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5628 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't really collect red uncirculated coppers (too expensive in my focus areas) but for what it's worth, I've read that it's a good idea to save your desiccant packs (from new shoes etc) and put those wherever you have red copper stored. Helps control the humidity for a few months to a year.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05