Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018 $2 Coin Error - Is This Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Australia
2 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  12:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add borge to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

Can you please tell me if this coin is counterfit or miss printed?

How much is this worth?

Thanks

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10100 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  03:15 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It looks like a grease-filled die issue on the obverse. Grease gets into the recesses of the die (highest points on the coin) and that can cause certain devices/letters/numbers to appear weakly struck on the coin.

Zabeth II... I kinda like that.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
07/11/2019 03:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
527 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  03:45 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yea, a grease filled, therefore misprint?
Swap list : http://goccf.com/t/334449
Free coins for (post 500)competition
http://goccf.com/t/350686&whichpage=3
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15886 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a 'misprint'.
More correctly termed 'error'.

Grease filled die errors are very common World wide, with circulating coinages produced in the trillions.
These sorts of error coins are never checked to be removed, before being released into circulation. There are just too many of them, and they still serve perfectly well as circulating coins.

Nevertheless, still scarce enough to be considered as a 'keeper', by most collectors.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41354 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good eye!

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
Valued Member
Australia
263 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add airgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nevertheless, still scarce enough to be considered as a 'keeper', by most collectors

100%
Australia
2 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add borge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone got a value for me?

Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10100 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  01:34 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
yea, a grease filled, therefore misprint?

Coins aren't printed, so "misprint" would be an incorrect term.

Quote:

For me, it has no realistic value above face. Some filled-die errors have more value if they are extreme enough, but this isn't one of them in my opinion.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
Australia
263 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add airgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Around $5 would be a realistic retail price.

Bearing in mind the US market is completely different to the Aussie market. These items are much scarcer in Oz, owing to our superior minting standards.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05