Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955 S Lincoln Cud Or Extra Metal

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks errers&varietys. I appreciate your help
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1001 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would you be willing to post two more photos:
complete obverse (to help determine die state)
high resolution closeup of the date and mm (to help with my curiosity, described below)

I enlarged and enhanced your date and mm. There are three things that interest me, all marked below.

My request is completely geeky, but I sure would appreciate your help.

1. There appears to be a weak die crack extending from the first "5" to the top of the mint mark.
2. There is either a die chip or discoloration between the first "5" and the top of the mint mark.
3. There is a die chip inside the bottom curl of the mint mark.

Here's what interests me about these. There are several known interior die breaks (IDBs) involving dates and mint marks on later wheat cents and some Memorial cents. All seem to involve curved numbers in the dates and all but one involve mint marked coins. From a completely geeky perspective, I have a theory that addition of the cold-punched mint mark in close proximity to a curved design element created a stress point leading to die failure, resulting in the IDBs. If your coin shows that type of surface spalling, it might be an early example of what eventually could have become an IDB.

Your coin is a definite keeper. It illustrates many things about the minting process in the high production years of the 1950s and about what dies went through during this time.

Thank you for sharing it with us (and for indulging my curiosity)!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1936 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is retained cud RCD-1C-1955S-05. You will find all the die markers on your coin, including the W-shaped one on the jacket which is just barely visible in your first photo, on the stage-D coin EXCEPT for the die chip in the 9. Which would put this at stage-C, which it likely is not. Why? Because almost certainly there are two different dies associated with retained cud 05 as the progression doesn't work and the cud itself looks quite different between C and D. Someday I'll try and figure out what's going on there, but as listed you have the retained cud 05 just short of stage D.

http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-ce...d-cuds-1955/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24805 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tropicalbats nailed it! I got confused by the second picture you took, because the glare hid the Die Crack somewhat. Oh well, mistakes happens sometimes. I second guessed myself.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
Machine Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Split Plate Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/357614
2000 P LMC With Retained Struck Through error. http://goccf.com/t/357080
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm here to learn. So anything that could increase my limited knowledge of coinage is a plus. Without talking to you guys I would be on my own. You can only get so much info from reading and watching videos. I can't ask a book or videos questions or get detailed info so easily. Thank you all!
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll take better pictures in the AM when there's better lighting
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  01:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oops! Last 3 pictures are of a different 55 S. I'll post the right ones in the morning
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the extensive info fortCollins and tropicalbats. Checked out that link to cuds on coins. Vert interesting. Rcd-1c-1955s-05 looks to be the variety at a later die state. I take it that this earlier die state should be attributed? I'm not too familiar with die states but this is becoming more and more interesting. Funny thing that I think I have the 55 with the die chip in the mine and an earlier die state than the ones pictured.
Pillar of the Community
United States
687 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panther to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see no less than 6 minor die chips, on both the Obverse and Reverse, both 5's in the date,, The Mint Mark, the right Wheat ear, the end of the left wheat ear, between the left wheat ear and the rim, the T in cent.

Dan
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same here. I never checked the reverse until yesterday. Thought they were just filled in. Been looking at some more and found die progression in similar 1957 and 1958. I need to hurry up and invest in a microscope
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm trying to line them up according to die state from early to late stage and year
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1001 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@RW1010, Thank you for the additional photos!

I clearly see a weak die crack from the first "5" through the mint mark. The area between the mint mark and the first "5" was just discoloration, but there clearly are two small chips in the mint mark. With the new photos, I see progression of the die chip inside the top of the first "5" down the outside curve of the lower curl of that digit.

The die crack is fairly shallow, but appears to extend almost to the portrait. Both mint mark chips align with the die crack. Interesting.

Thank you again for posting the additional pics!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05