Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1939 Royal Visit To Canada Can Anyone Tell Me More? Please Pure Silver

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  10:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lynd1306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lynd1306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nobody anywhere seems to know about this coin! I've checked all of my books, contacted those I know who may have some idea on what this is. All I get in response is those showing the coin that has the map on the one side! This coin as u can see has two people shaking hands, and the crowns are missing on the royals on the opposite side?!?
Edited by Lynd1306
07/15/2019 11:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3888 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This clearly isn't the official (and common) type struck by the Royal Canadian Mint that you've been made aware of. Can you measure the diameter, and also how did you determine that it's "pure silver"?

It looks to be in rather less than pristine condition - often medals such as this are carefully put away and preserved.

Colligo ergo sum
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lynd1306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin came from an older fellow I know that deals in silver. We usually buy the silver for It's weight value. This coin was in there. The man is only interested in the silver cost, not the coins itself. With all the research we have done, we read that this was coin design one of the originals given to the royal family, that was to be then melted down. It weighs 20.8 grams. We also came across this one!! I will measure the diameter tomorrow. I appreciate your response

Edited by Lynd1306
07/15/2019 11:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
595 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your second coin, if genuine, is a British 1927 "wreath crown" with face value of 5 shillings. It had a low mintage, cant tell you exactly what, as I am away from home.

Again, if genuine, it will be worth a lot more than melt value. There are quite a few modern fakes out there which can be bought for around 5. I am not expert enough to say whether or not it is real. Perhaps somebody else can help?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28445 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. The first one must be a medal not a coin because I see no denomination on it. Weight,diameter? Try the tissue test to see if it is silver.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3888 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight & diameter on both, please.

The 1927 crown doesn't look like a proof, of which a bit over 15K were struck (in proof only) for that year. Also, the apparent wear to the obverse as opposed to almost no such on the reverse makes me very suspicious.

Colligo ergo sum
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lynd1306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The royal visit coin is silver, it weighs 20.8 grams. The diameter is 1 1/4" and the thickness is 4cm. The coin is dirty as it was pulled from a bin As we all know pure silver is NON-magnetic. We carefully did a magnet test with this coin and it will not stick to a large magnet at all. The wreath coin I will have to update when my husband returns with it, as he has it out with him right now. What's puzzling about this royal coin is everyone we've spoken To said that while these coins were being made there was two designs, one in which was rejected by the queen herself leaving the one with the map as the chosen coin for that event. The other design was apparently to be melted down (destroyed) I very confusing lol
Edited by Lynd1306
07/16/2019 2:21 pm
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lynd1306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We also have in our hands the royal canadian visit coin with the map. I believe we have 3 of those coins & &
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lynd1306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We can't thank u all enough for your opinions and interest in helping us to decipher what this coin is all about! &
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lynd1306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wreath coin weighs 28.0 grams (silver, non magnetic) 1/8" thick and the diameter is just slightly over 1 1/2" diameter &
Edited by Lynd1306
07/16/2019 2:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
9643 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3888 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight for the 1927 crown is pretty close to that of a genuine specimen (which, by the way, will be only .500 fine silver). The magnet test is not in and of itself authenticating - it simply means that the piece isn't a ferrous fake. Lots of other metals besides silver also won't react to a magnet.

Colligo ergo sum
Learn More...
United States
74827 Posts
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lynd1306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! Just wish I knew what it was and the story behind it! It's quite puzzling
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2019  03:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinluvva to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only tangentially relevant. But I have a Bronze-looking token for the 1939 Royal Visit to Canada. It is 26 mm diameter and weighed in at 11.242 g.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05