Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Sun-Face, Sunrise, Or Sunset Coins!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 318 / Views: 13,042Next Topic
Page: of 22
Learn More...
United States
100962 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5919 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1936 York County, ME Tercentenary commemorative half dollar features a depiction of Brown's Garrison on its reverse. Behind the garrison, and the tree line and mountains presented in the far background, is seen a rising sun with nine bold rays emanating from it. "LIBERTY" is written across the rays in an arc.

The designer of the coin was Maine artist, Walter H. Rich (1866-1948).

1936 York County, ME Tercentenary Half Dollar

For more information about the York County coin and its original holder/mailer, have a look at:

- 1936 York County Tercentenary
- 1936 York County Tercentenary - Revisited
- York County Tercentenary - Quick Bits
- 1936 York County Half Dollar - Places.

Other of my commemorative coin and medal posts can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
100962 Posts
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

1998 Platinum Eagle
Learn More...
United States
100962 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17826 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1884 Republica Argentina.
2 centavos.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5919 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The US Daniel Boone Birth Bicentennial commemorative half dollar (1934 though 1938) is another issue of the classic era that features a rising sun within its design.

The sun is found on the coin's reverse, to the right of the standing figures of Boone and Chief Black Fish, below the inscription "PIONEER YEAR" at roughly the vertical midpoint of the coin.

1934 Boone Birth Bicentennial Half Dollar

I've posted about the Daniel Boone Birth Bicentennial coin several times before, you can view the posts here:

- 1934 Daniel Boone Birth Bicentennial
- 1935 Daniel Boone Birth Bicentennial - Small Date
- The "Small 1934" Boone Half Dollars
- Daniel Boone Bicentennial Commission and Half Dollar

You can read more of my posts about commemorative coins and medals here: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4384 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Boone example.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5919 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently posted about the 1935-39 Arkansas Statehood Centennial half dollar in this "Sun" thread (link below).

This time out, I'm presenting the Senator Joseph Robinson variety of the Arkansas Statehood coin. The two coins share a common obverse design (Note: The eagle side is officially considered the coin's obverse even though the portrait side is generally viewed as the obverse by collectors and grading services.) A rising sun is seen behind the eagle and Arkansas "diamond" from the State Flag.

1936 Robinson-Arkansas Statehood Centennial Half Dollar

To learn more about Senator Robinson and this coin, check out: 1936 Robinson-Arkansas Statehood Centennial.

For more of a discussion about the design details of the obverse , view it here: Arkansas Statehood Centennial Half Dollar - Coins with Stars Thread and for my previous "Sun" post about the Arkansas Centennial coin 1935-39 Arkansas Statehood Centennial - Coins with Sun Thread).

You can access other of my posts about the Arkansas Statehood Centennial coins and various commemorative coins and medals here: Read More: Commems Collection.

Learn More...
United States
100962 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5919 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In contrast to nearly all of the other US commemorative coins of the classic era that include a depiction of the sun, the 1926-39 Oregon Trail Memorial half dollars include a setting sun in their design vs. a rising sun. (Note: The 1915-S Panama-Pacific International Exposition half dollar also features a setting sun.)

The sun incorporated on the obverse design of the Oregon Trail Memorial coins is the largest depiction of the sun found on a coin within the classic US commemorative series, edging out the #2 sun coin, the Arkansas Statehood Centennial half dollar. The large, setting sun is leading the pioneer family in their Conestoga wagon west to the Oregon Territory. (Note: The US Mint considers the wagon side of the Oregon Trail half dollar to be its obverse and the side with the standing Native American to be its reverse.)

The husband and wife team of James Earle Fraser and Laura Gardin Fraser were responsible for the designs, with James designing the obverse and Laura creating the reverse plus sculpting the models for both sides.

1926-39 Oregon Trail Memorial Half Dollar

I've posted about the Oregon Trail coin previously:

- 1926 Oregon Trail Memorial
- 1926 Oregon Trail - Rotated Reverse Error?
- 1936-S Oregeon Trail Half Dollar

More of my posts about commemorative coins and medals can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17826 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2016 American Silver Eagle.

Learn More...
United States
100962 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8773 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  08:50 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2008 Costa Rica 5 Colones:

Close-up of obverse showing the sunrise:
Learn More...
United States
100962 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2008 Costa Rica 5 Colones...Close-up of obverse showing the sunrise:
Subtle! Well done.
Page: of 22 Previous TopicReplies: 318 / Views: 13,042Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05