Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

India-Portuguese Goa 1/8 Rupia 1881 KM# 309 Price Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bulgaria
16 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  4:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Aragorn78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I was wondering why there is such a big discrepancy between the catalog price of this coin and the price in ebay (and other places).

The KM price is 100 USD for G, 200 for VG, 300 for F, 400 for VF and 500 for XF condition.

https://www.NGCcoin.com/price-guide...duid-1507130

But you can find it at price about 30-40-50 USD for F-VF.
I have 2 such coins, one F-VF, the other VF and I have bought them for about 20-25 USD each (I was considering it as a very nice investment).

The discrepancy is too high (about 10 times), I am curious, can anyone explain it?
Edited by Aragorn78
07/16/2019 4:30 pm
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add living-in-the-past to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not have any insight into how Krause sets the values in their catalog. However, I see countries where prices seem too high across the board (New Zealand and the Netherlands come to mind) and where prices are sometimes too low (China and Iraq are frequently getting higher prices on ebay than catalog). At the end of the day, value is in the eye of the beholder and all you need is two bidders who want the same coin to drive the price up. At the same time, especially with auctions your potential buyer(s) may not be looking at items that week. I think the Krause catalogs are a valuable resource to determine relative value, but not absolute value.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indian coins often sell for far below book value, often somewhere near half or even one-third.
For one thing, you're competing with sellers from India.
That said, this example does seem somewhat extreme.
It might be that more examples of this coin have appeared in the market, or for some reason demand has dropped.
Also, maybe book prices listed are from higher-end auction houses. I'm just guessing - don't know the real reasons.
Bulgaria
16 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  03:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aragorn78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mintage is about 900 k and there is only one year (1881) with this nominal (1/8 - oitavo de rupia), could this fact be the reason for the high catalog price?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05