Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Ideas On This 1979 D LMC On A 3.4 Gram Planchette

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  1:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lue 311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
4231 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a severely damaged coin.You can throw it back in circulation.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
22756 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF! Just a damaged coin. PSD. Spendable.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1973 D Lincoln Memorial cent With Recurring Die Subsidence Error Information. http://goccf.com/t/304624
Machine Doubling tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15598 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cent struck on a rolled thick planchet and subsequently damaged post strike. It is an error but the damage negates pretty much any premium value it might have had.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39103 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lue 311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my only thing though this coin is gold colored and I mean like shiny bright gold 80's rapper chain gold. I've had several coin shops tell me that it's definitely not a copper or bronze coin and this came from my grandfather's collection and he had a friend that worked at the Denver mint that gifted this to him. I would have more to the info but my grandfather passed away a few years back and I was never able to talk to him about it. When I was given the coins from my grandmother the only info about this one in particular was about the fact it came from a friend who was a mint employee years ago. I know it probably doesn't matter but I was just curious as to if it may be a gold plated coin or perhaps it was on a different planchette. Its bigger than a normal Lincoln cent more around a 10c euro piece.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3230 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a normal cent with heavy circulation damage. I agree it may have been minted on a thicker rolled stock planchet. In all fairness even if it were plated it is not a collectible cent.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15598 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photos do not seem to indicate a bright gold color, but it does look like ithas had an acid cleaning at some time. And a word of caution, unless the coin shop dealer makes a regular market in error coins there is a verygood chance they know very little about error/variety coins except for the few well known and popular ones.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
518 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2019  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How much did the dealer say it was worth?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3230 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2019  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lue 311, I've had several cents from the 70's that we're bright as gold. What causes this is simple, there was a little too much zinc in the copper mixture. The cause of this is a yellowed color copper cent. I have a few later cents that are made of copper plated zinc. The same rule applies to them as well. When too much zinc is left in the copper plating mixture you'll get a yellow colored copper plated zinc cent. That is what you have.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2019  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lue 311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He told me to contact Fred Weinberg about it I'm still emailing back and forth with him at the moment. Also this coin is not a normal LMC because it's larger in both thickness and diameter as well as the weight being 3.5 grams the same as a 10C Euro Planchette as well as being the same color.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
789 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2019  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Denver mint did not produce any foreign coins between the Liberian coinage ending in 1975 and the date your 1979-D cent was minted. No US mint produced blanks, planchets, or coins for any European nation between WW II and 2000.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3230 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2019  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@fortcollins, he'll just have to find out on his own. We've told him what he has.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05