Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Julia Domna AR Denarius - "Do Not Forget - I Am Still In Charge!"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5662 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  5:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Jumping ahead of myself in my "Portraits thread" as I wait for a recent purchase to arrive in the mail; just had to share this one!

Julia Domna, as Pia Felix (After the death of Septimius Severus)
AR Denarius
IVLIA PIA FELIX AVG, Draped bust right
MAT AVGG MAT SEN M PATR, Julia (as Cybele, the Mother Goddess) seated left in chair, holding branch and scepter

The Severan dynasty was characterized by powerful women running the show, and this coin unabashedly brings that fact straight into the spotlight:

MAT AVGG - Mother of the Emperors,
MAT SEN - Mother of the Senate,
M PATR - Mother of the Fatherland

Particularly interesting is the plural AVGG - Domna would not have been characterized as the mother of her deceased husband Septimius, therefore the second G most likely indicates that this was struck during the brief co-rule of her sons Caracalla and Geta, from February 4 - December 26, 211. The olive branch she holds on the reverse is fitting - she spent nearly the entire eleven months of her son's co-rule thwarting attempts by each brother to divide the empire, initiate civil war, and even assassinate the other. She ultimately failed, however, as Caracalla is said to have stabbed Geta to death in front of her on December 26, 211. Furthermore, these coins (This, and the variant with Julia standing on the reverse) are not only scarce, but also seldom found in less than VF/XF condition, indicating that the bulk of the production was subject to seizure and melting by Caracalla in his attempt to erase Geta from history.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12419 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice remaining detail, especially in her hair.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
22476 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely detail. Nice addition to your collection.
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Severans are an amazing dynasty. They'd make for a great TV drama.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4323 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one, Steve.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8140 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grats on the lovely Julia Domna! I've got a similar, but with the MATER DEVM / Cybele reverse. (She did think quite highly of herself, didn't she?)

Game of Thrones has nothing on 1st-3rd century Imperial Rome in terms of drama, shock value, horror, suspense, heroism, warfare, and moral conflict. The Rome of the Severans would indeed make for an entertaining (if bloody and violent and at times NC17-rated) TV drama in my opinion.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1473 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin Steve!
She's one of my favourite Roman Ladies...Beauty, brains and money!
Congrats on a nice scarce type..I assume to add to your portraits collection?
Paul
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5662 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all!

I agree that the Severans would indeed make for a very interesting documentary or even soap opera... if they could tone it down to an R rating! I'm actually surprised that out of all of the documentaries on Rome, most producers don't seem to care about anything that happened after Commodus was killed.

And @Paul, yes, this one is bumping out the DIANA LVCIFERA denarius for the PIA FELIX title. I'm still missing the IVLIA AVGVSTA type... ironically I sold several very nice ones before I realized that I wanted more than just one coin to cover her tenure as empress, spanning the rule of three emperors and nearly 25 years. I don't foresee myself snagging a posthumous issue of hers, at least not at $1000+!
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8140 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You never know when you're going to get lucky and come across the coin you need at a great price, perhaps buried deep in a group lot of poorly photographed denarii being sold by a seller who does not have the knowledge, or the desire, to research and identify exactly what they're letting go. To me, that's one of the reasons studying a particular series in depth is a very worthwhile time investment, because with enough time and enough knowledge you can spot the diamonds mixed in with the dirt.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05