Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

D. G. Regina Inscription

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  11:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bordbord to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am still learning about Canadian coins. What's the story behind some bullion coins not having the "D.G. Regina" Latin inscription? I learned it means By the Grace of God, Queen but that is all I have been able to find out. I don't know if it's ever omitted on commemorative or circulating coins.
Learn More...
Australia
13169 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  06:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canada inherited the use of Latin coinage titles from Britain, where (apart from the brief interregnum of the Commonwealth during the English Civil War) a Latin inscription has always been used for the monarch's titles. Britain and Canada are the only two Commonwealth Realms to persist in this anachronism. I suspect that in Canada's case, Latin remains on the coinage for the same reason it is still occasionally used on Swiss and Belgian coins: in an officially multi-lingual country such as Canada, Latin is a "neutral" language choice. If they got rid of Latin, they'd be legally bound to replace it with both English and French, and on all but the largest coins, that would make her titles too small to read.

There may be some residual sensitivity to removing the "D.G". Way back in 1911, the new Canadian coinage issued for King George V was struck, with the obverse inscription just "GEORGIVS V REX ET IND IMP." - they omitted the D.G. Well, there was considerable controversy from church authorities, and from religious folks generally, at this sudden and unannounced "godless" coinage. The following year, the obverse of the coins was redesigned to re-include "D.G". And Canada's never been game to remove it from circulating coins ever since.

There is no legal requirement for "D.G" to be on circulating coins. In Canada, under the Royal Canadian Mint Act of 1985, coinage design is determined by the "Governor in Council" - that is, by the designated government minister (currently the Minister of Finance), acting under advice from the Mint and the bureaucracy, writing the design briefs for new coins, and the Governor-General signing off on them. They're allowed to get rid of D.G. whenever they like.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4661 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very informative SAP thank you.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bordbord to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap, Thanks for all that information. That's interesting history. It does sound like the decision may be arbitrary sometimes. As a possible example, I see that in the 3-coin Bison silver 1 1/4 ounce series, the 2015 coin does not include the "D.G." inscription whereas the 2016 and 2017 coins do. But it does seem to me (based on limited research) that most recent silver bullion coins (Maple Leaf coins anyway) do not have the inscription.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05