Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Shaped Coin - A Mint Mystery

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1198 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  8:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've seen a number of news items on this, so the picture isn't protected as mint product - but on the Mint's website it shows as unavailable.

item #172582 3 ounce pure silver in the shape of Canada. Mintage 2000. But - not available until Dec. 16, 2019.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
6532 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The other resource reporting that the coin is simply soldout everywhere.

From one side - hot like southern Ontario summer this days, from other hand - not necessary will be appreciated in the near future.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1559 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you can only order one per household
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4018 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not have guessed that a $340 Canada-shaped coin would prove to be so popular!

I didn't consider adding it to my collection for even a minute.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2622 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considering the coin has been available for more than a month why are people are surprised that it sold out? Coins regularly sell out the RCM over a period of time. Some sell out fast, some take a long time, some never sell out. At two thousand mintage, which is relatively low, this coin took too long to sell out in my opinion. If it was such a popular coin it would have sold out rapidly.

Just because it sold out I don't see a big clamour to get it. July releases are almost among us. With so much coins coming out every month will people even remember this map shaped coin 6 months later?
Valued Member
Canada
319 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
With so much coins coming out every month will people even remember this map shaped coin 6 months later

Yes... in 12-18 months it will hit the resale auction circuit and gradually work its way down to $120-$150... Where it should have been from day 1.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6532 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be very interesting experiment, however, no Company / Mint will do it:

Price silver numismatic issues in the x1.5 - x2 bullion range, and base metal coins - up to $10.
And release the products to the market, with regular mintages, let's say up to 10.000.
Then we can see, what really appreciated, and how high the asking / resale price will reach.
Valued Member
Canada
319 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@silveroid

You see that routinely with limited run Bullion issues. Maple Leaf & ASEs usually trade at bullion values (+/- spread) regardless of their age but more limited runs such as UK Queen's beasts, some Libertads or some of the African Elephants or Chinese Pandas have greater demand than supply. 10+ year old bullion for certain issues appreciate well beyond a reasonable spread. There is even a vibrant market and premium paid for certain limited run Maple Leaf bullion with privy marks.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1198 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MoneyPenney said:
Quote:
Considering the coin has been available for more than a month

I only learned of this coin by the CBC report a few days ago. When did you learn about it? was it in mint release? or Rep-email?
Valued Member
Canada
332 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the design with the animals representing the provinces and territories. I would prefer to own a print that I can put on my wall than a coin though.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15635 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't include any of Canada's islands!

Australia has the same problem with the island State of Tasmania. A map of Australia is incomplete without Tasmania.
That is somewhat of a pity. The bean shaped mainland would ideal for a fantasy coin shape.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2622 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I only learned of this coin by the CBC report a few days ago. When did you learn about it? was it in mint release? or Rep-email?

It was part of the July RCM releases posted by me on June 17:

http://goccf.com/t/349392&whichpage=1

Received notice three different ways:

- Rep Advanced Notice for July
- Regular monthly RCM Coin release for July
- By Mail with new releases booklet.

The coin was not a separate release but part of the monthly releases.

If you a customer of RCM you should get the monthly coin releases unless you specify you don't want anything sent to you.

Edited by MoneyPenney
07/22/2019 8:12 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05