Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Some ID Help - New Member With No Idea

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

France
1 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  10:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Frenchfancies to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello
I really hope someone can help me. I am based in France and found this recent coin at a brocante in SW France. It has a pendant fitting to the top of it. I have no idea if this is French although for some reason it feels English. It has tested as silver and feels quite thick for a "hammered" coin. I would love to know where it's from, how old it is and if it has any value. Thank you in anticipation

Valued Member
Sweden
73 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a French Henri III coin, minted sometime in the late 1570s (the year at the top of the reverse could be 1578). If you can measure its diameter, one can say whether it is a one franc, a half franc, or a quarter franc coin.

Since it is very worn and has a pendant, it is not worth that much, I would say less than 20 €.
Edited by erafjel
07/22/2019 10:44 am
Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
France
1 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  03:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Frenchfancies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for your reply erafjel. Its approximately 3 cms in diameter. I'm going to find a chain for it so that I can wear it. I love history so I am going to do some more digging on Henri III.
Valued Member
Sweden
73 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  03:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Then it would be a 1/2 franc. Here is a link to the Numista page for it (the picture does not look exactly like your coin, but there are many variants depending on mint and year).
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces38934.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
2246 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
et bienvenue!

An interesting historic perspective on this coin is that Henri III was also King Henryk of Poland from 1574-75. He abandoned the throne to return to France, but never relinquished the title, so, on the obverse of this coin, the legend reads HENRICVS III D G FRANC ET POL REX, or "Henry III, by the Grace of God, King of France and Poland."

For this reason, his coins are also collected by collectors of Polish coins.
Valued Member
Sweden
73 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, an interesting period in French history (one of many!). Henri III had his hands full, not least with the Wars of Religion.

Nevertheless, he found time to reform the French monetary system. Part of the reform was to introduce the franc as a denomination (or rather re-introduce, as it had been used in the 14th century). The main idea was to abandon the livre as money of account and introduce the écu in its place. The value of one écu was fixed to 60 sous tournois and one franc to 20 sous tournois. There were coins with denominations of 1, 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 écu as well as 1, 1/2 and 1/4 franc. In addition, there were various smaller denominations of sous and deniers. Overly complex? Yes... The system lasted until 1602, when Henri IV decided it was time to go back to the livre and flexible denominations (that is, that could be changed at the king's discretion).

Looking again at your coin, it might be a one franc that has been clipped rather than a half franc. If it is important to know which, an accurate measurement of diameter and weight should make it possible to determine with certainty.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05