Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 "W" Quarter! Need Grading Help Please.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  4:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Goree7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am by no means a coin enthusiast. Nor am I photographer. I took a billion pics and can't seem to get it right, these pictures do it no justice. Doesn't show how shiny it is or anything. Just looking to see what grade y'all think this might get. Thank you

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Goree7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are few more of the same coin, like I said, I tried taking a lot of pictures. Just looking for an idea of the grading. Thanks!!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39199 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close-up pics reveal minor issues, I'll say MS-65.

to the CCF!
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Goree7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you think it would be worth getting it graded? I found this as pocket change. Also, I am not a coin collector I just happened to look at it and thought it looked funny so I did some research and now I have it.
Learn More...
United States
74827 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4209 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory Of Those Members Who Left Us Too Soon.....
Pillar of the Community
United States
615 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. I'm in agreement here. I think MS65 is a reasonable expectation mayyybe gets MS66 if it's just those few small contact marks and there's no hairline scratches which I can't really tell from these pictures.

As far as grading being worth it... they are selling on ebay graded from between the lowest $20 and $120 as the highest I find on there. No idea where it settles at though.

If you do it, maybe you lose, all said and done you'll be into grading for about $60 or so per coin with the shipping factored in.

On one more note, since you say you aren't a collector, in case you dont know, don't touch it with your fingers or try to wipe it clean or cough or sneeze on it. The more scratches and dirt and stuff it gets the lower it would grade and the less it will be worth.

If I were you I'd probably buy an airtight capsule holder from a hobby lobby or coin shop, and see what happens and that way the surfaces are pretty protected otherwise it can wind up getting messed up and worse.
That way you can sit on it a bit and see what happens with the value as the grading values settle down and stable some.

As it is it seems like it all depends on how many are up for sale at any given time of day if there's a lot they don't do well and if there's just one or two finishing they do well and get bid up.

Edited by Big-Kingdom
07/24/2019 12:41 am
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  03:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Goree7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the insight. I appreciate it. My thoughts on getting it graded now....let's say it turns out to be a 65. Now I have a graded 65. It is safe and will never get messed up. With only 2 million printed, all in circulation, I'm sure half are bound to get lost in every day use. The other million may be found, but possibly in rougher condition. So it might be safe to say in 10 years or so a 65 would be better than 75% of all the ones printed. That's in the top 25% of a what could and should be a rare coin, strictly based on numbers alone. I'm not planning on selling it tomorrow. I'll hold onto it. And see where it goes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
615 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another thing to keep in mind. One of the grading companies, PCGS, has a population report on their website. Of the 2100 they have graded up til today. Half of them are grade MS 65, about 1050 of them. They have graded about 500 MS66, and about 50 MS67 for this design. For this design there's more graded MS65 right now that MS64 or lower actually.

How many are graded at the same level as yours will absolutely affect the value in the long run. The serious collectors and spenders will want "top pop" coins, the highest graded examples for their collections.

It's not exactly "of all the ones printed" many people are content with anything to fill a hole in a book, while others are picky and will want the highest, commonest grade which will be cheap because of supply and demand, then there's the really picky collectors with money that will pay top dollar for the highest grade out there whenever they become available for sale.

Collectors of coins as a whole isn't a huge segment of the population and some of them specialize in certain fields. Like ancients or world coins or State Quarters, or Lincoln cents, and don't care about W quarters.

I guess what I'm saying here is don't get your hopes up that it will be a condition rarity and be worth a ton of money down the road. Many low mintage coins are only worth a few dollars at MS 65 because people knew about them and hunted them and set them aside at the beginning and the population of high grade examples comes close to meeting demand for them. There's no guarantees it will go up in value over time. And may go down if there's some lucky roll hunter out there sitting on hundreds or even thousands of quality high graded examples to get graded later on. It's hard to say how it goes and speculative.

Good luck whatever you decide to do, if you got it graded and slabbed it would be clear to you what grade they determined it to be and it would be protected, that's for sure. I'm not sure if you could recover the grading costs in your lifetime and a bit of profit at this point though and only time and seeing what happens can tell you that. Thanks for posting your find, congrats on your find, and good luck to you.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
07/24/2019 06:37 am
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Goree7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all your advice.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17146 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only a few light marks, MS-65.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05