Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Antoninus Pius..big And Small

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1767 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2019  12:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's my first ever humble Sestertius
When you read the dimensions of a coin, you know its big but in hand-Wow! These are gonna be addictive
The denarius is one of my first I ever bought too..
Antoninus Pius (AD 138-161) AR denarius,17.8mm, struck AD 145-161. Rome mint.
Obverse..ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP,(Antoninus Augustus Pius Father of the people) laureate head right
Rverse..TR POT COS IIII,(Tribune of the people 4 times Consul) Liberalitas standing left, holding abacus and cornucopiae, LIB IIII across the fields.
RIC 155 type 1

And the Sestertius..
ANTONINUS PIUS. 138-161 AD. Sestertius (33mm, 26.75 g.)
Struck 159/160 AD.
Obverse..ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XXIII, laureate head right
Rev. PIETATI AVG COS IIII SC, Pietas standing left holding globe, Faustina Junior as Pietas standing left, between Faustina Minima, Lucilla & holding baby Fadilla.
RIC III 1031
Near VF,
Brown patina some green.
Please feel free to post any big bronzes of AP.....Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
4808 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2019  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. If I collected Romans it would definitely be the big bronzes that I'd focus on.
Learn More...
United States
22899 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2019  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coins, AP is one of my favorite Roman emperors.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2086 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2019  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like big bronzes and I cannot lie
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1767 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2019  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys!
When your on a tight budget like me, picking up highly detailed big bronzes can be very expensive. But if your careful and can accept coins that have issues they can be acquired at very reasonable prices...This one set me back less than $50 with postage and has a nice portrait with the emperor's name visible with a lovely IMO patina. At the moment I still cant get over the wow factor of size and weight and keep picking this one up just to hold....Paul
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5836 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2019  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coins Paul!

That is a very special issue of Pius, as it is entirely possible that Pietas is depicted as holding the three living children of Aurelius and Faustina at the time - Lucilla, Fadilla, and Annia.

I also agree that I am slowly feeling the Sestertius Fever creeping up on me! The only problem is that buying an XF denarius of any of the 5 Good Emperors will only run you 2-3x the price of a VF - Not the case with bronze!

I bought this coin from Leu Numismatik to flip, but I just. Couldn't. Do. It!

My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1767 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2019  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking coin Steve with a beautiful green patina..I can quite understand why its a keeper
Pillar of the Community
United States
3125 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2019  10:20 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice guys finish last ......
As the ALL TIME "Mr Nice Guy" the bronzes of AP have always appealed to me
Not the least of which is that (with patience) they can often be obtained in VF+ condition for a fraction of what a real nasty fellow like a Nero or Commodus can cost you
Or even a serious martial type like Trajan or Septimius
Antoninus is just too easy going (and long lived) too break the bank !
The family group portraits are great to find
I like it !
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1767 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2019  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks FR...As an avid silver collector I've been quite blown away by the different coloured patinas that occur on these big bronzes...There's something for everyone...Even my wife likes the pinky coloured ones ..Paul
ps.. I pm'd you but you haven't answered?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3125 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2019  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received and answered !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1767 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2019  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Recent addition to the Pius set.....Lovely dark green patina..
Antoninus Pius. 138-161 AD. AE As (9.86 gm, 25.5mm). Rome mint. Struck 140-144 AD.
Obverse: ANTONINVS AVG PI VS PP TRP COS III, laureate head right.
Reverse: ANNONA AVG, S-C, Annona standing right, holding grain ears over modius in right hand, cornucopia in left; at feet to right, prow right.
RIC III 675. VF.

Here's the 3 together...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3125 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2019  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lowly copper As was my first love
Back in the 70's a good grade sestertius was not only difficult to find over here but tended to be pricey
But the lowly As could be had in VF+ for what I considered a good price
The irony is today with the "internets" good quality sestertii seem to be abundant
But I have a difficult time finding a nice As !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1767 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2019  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I agree FRV...This one took a while to find. I wanted good detail but with a nice green patina and of course at the right price....

Just out of curiosity whats the general consensus as to which of the four denominations were more widely used at this time between the Sestertius, Dupondius, As and Denari ?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1767 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the most recent AP coin to join the group, the Tetradrachm https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/13634....
Slightly smaller than the AS

Antoninus Pius Billon Tetradrachm, Egypt, Alexandria Mint, 23mm, 11.94 grams
Obverse...Laureate-headed bust right, wearing cuirass and paludamentum.
Reverse...Nilus with crocodile beside him, reclining left, holding reed and cornucopia from which emerges Genius holding wreath, crocodile below.
Emmerr 1413.13 // Dattari 2294 // Koln 1594 // K&G 35.426
Learn More...
United States
22899 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Paul.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1767 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just picked up this one from Ken Dorney...Great guy to deal with...
I'm excited about this coin....My first ever big Drachm...
The extra milimeter in diameter coupled with nearly 30 grams in weight makes the Sestertius seem small in comparison!

Antoninus Pius, 138 - 161 AD, AE Drachm, Egypt, Alexandria Mint, 34mm, 29.55 grams
Obverse: Laureate head of Antoninus right.
Reverse: L DEKATOV, Zeus holding patera and scetpre reclining left on open wings of eagle.
Emmett1699 // Dattari2933 // Koln1560 // Milne1905
Rare type, with dramatic imagery!

Here's the set so far...Now need a nice Dupondius and will probably pick up some provincials as well...
Just one question...
Can someone give me an easy link or some sort of reference list related to the different denominations of Antoninus Pius?..I'm reading Hemidrachm, Obol, etc but I'm unsure as to the specifications? Any help appreciated...Paul
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05