Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These Commemorative Coins Silver?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  9:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shannon7692 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have quite a few of these with various designs and I was wondering if they are silver, silver clad, etc. There is only 1 coin out of the bunch that has the markings one the side (pics 3 & 4). The rest have the space but are blank. Thanks in advance for the help!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics are too small to see what they are, but my guess is they are privately minted medals. Unless marked, most likely just made from clad with little/no value.
Edited by jimbucks
08/10/2019 10:02 pm
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shannon7692 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim. Would these typically be done in pure silver or just clad? Can't find these anywhere on the net or the BAY and wanted to find out if these were worth anything.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clad, unless marked otherwise. There are millions of privately made medals out there.
Learn More...
United States
74970 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39329 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Companies such as the Franklin Mint often produced silver commemorative medals in the past, so they are not uncommon.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16313 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and . They may also have been a medal given away as a promotional "stunt". Gas stations in particular used to produce boards that held the full "collection" that was given away to kids.

Kids always pestered their parents to fill up at the places offering them such promotional items.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4018 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The medals shown appear to part of a series of medals offered back in 1971 and 1972 by the Historic Mint of Long Island. On the medal with the edge markings, you can see "HM" in a diamond; the "HM" is for Historic Mint.

Folks could subscribe to a complete set of "The Age of American Revolution" series which consisted of 102 sterling silver medals, or the abbreviated "Highlights of the Age of the American Revolution" which included 56 sterling silver medals. The complete set was issued at a rate of two per month and cost $24.50 for both; the "Highlights" set subscription delivered one medal per month at a cost of $12.50.

As noted, the medals in the sets I've listed are sterling silver (0.925 fine) and were double-struck as proofs and are 39mm in diameter. The silver pieces had the edge hallmarks show in the images. A total of 3,400 of the 102-piece sets were available; 7,000 of the "Highlights" set were to be struck. I haven't seen actual final mintage/sales figures, however - final figures are likely to be lower than the maximum figures I've listed. The Historic Mint stated that medals were not to be struck in base metals in future editions, but I can't confirm that they stuck to such a promise.

The Historic Mint also did a mini series of American Revolution medals - just 12 to the set. These were struck in sterling silver (800 sets available), sterling silver with 24K gold plating (200 sets) and in sterling silver with platinum plating (20 sets). I don't have pricing on the medals.

All of the information I have is for precious metal versions of the medals; all of them are supposed to have the hallmarks on the edge along with a serial number. The fact that yours do not have the edge marking leads me to believe they are medals struck later than the above and are base metal versions of the series. Copper-nickel (solid, not clad) and brass would be likely metallic compositions. Are your medals 39mm in diameter? Do they appear to be proof strikes?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
9660 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Learn More...
United States
74970 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05