Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

RCM Proof Like & Brilliant Uncirculated Sets Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  09:55 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bgl379475 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently through a few lots purchased a good bit of Proof Like and Brilliant Uncirclated Sets, using the login then I would have those years locked down in my collection. But it has now appeared to me through so better research these coins will look different than the normal circulation strikes. Is this true?

I assumed (I know shame on me) that by buying these sets I was just getting a better quality or shinier coin easier, and if I wanted to could eventually cut them like some people do with U.S. Mint sets anad put them in my collection. But I see by the a Whitman price guide that coins seem to be worth more in MS-63 or 65 then BU or PL-65. Now I must admit I collect for fun not value so that doesn't bother me, but it rises questions of did I just buy a bunch of sets that, won't help me complete me set?

Any help or advice on things is greatly appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3264 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PL (Proof Like) or PR/PF (Proof)

Reason is simple, MS (Mint State or Uncirculated) coins don't get the special handling during manufacture.

Especially with modern coins - the last 20 years or so. With those, an MS65 is a high-end coin - they are minted by the millions, dumped into big bags, run through automated counting/wrapping machines, the works...

A PF65 is a dog. The lowest grade a modern proof should be is a 68 and dang few of those.

-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bgl379475 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for responding! So I guess to answer a better question if I was trying to complete a set of Canadian Coins 1 Cent to 2 Dollar, and get one of each "circulated set" for instance in the U.S. There is an Uncirculated Set that gives you the P & D mint for the year and then you buy the proof set if you want the S mint. But those coins are "pretty much" the same as finding a nicer end coin in change. Are the Canadian sets the same? Or are they struck differently?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7545 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think Bstrauss doesn't realize we are discussing Canadian coins here.
His answer makes no sense in this context.
The Canadian PL and BU sets from before 2010 do not contain any circulation strike coins.
They are coins specially struck for collectors.
They will not grade as MS coins.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bgl379475 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So to make sure I understand: The 2010-2019 sets, those sets have circulation strike coins, anything before has specially struck coins, which means most of what I bought can not be used in the context I thought it could. I was able to purchase 1968-2019. So the years 1968-2009 are "useless" for the aspect in which I wanted to use them. I guess I have a lot of re-evaluating to do now. Thanks for the help.
Valued Member
Canada
332 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you buy the sets in the pliofilm? If so, then those sets have circulation strike coins and would not be "useless" for your purposes. Some pictures would help.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7545 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, 2010 and earlier pliofilm sets are the PL sets and do not contain circulation strikes.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
332 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could be wrong, but the coins that I have in those sets look just like uncirculated business strike coins. I'm not sure how a TPG would tell the difference. If that is what bgl379475 has, then it should work for his purposes.

Even the write up in the set says "Your uncirculated coins have been carefully selected and are the best of their kind. This set contains one coin of each denomination issued for general circulation in Canada."
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bgl379475 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the pictures of two items I bought.

Now I seem to be hearing conflicting stories. So I do not feel so bad for being really confused.

Thoughts?

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05