Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spanish Coin ID Help Needed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  10:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I believe this is a Spanish coin but it doesn't seem to match any listings I've seen. It's 28mm and 5.5g.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1488 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm new to medieval Spanish coins but a couple of pointers that might help..
The A mintmark below the castle signifies 'Avila' and was first used on the coins of Sancho IV 1284-1295 and lastly noted on coins of Alfonso (the pretender)1465-1468...
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, that would explain why it's not in the standard catalog. Thanks for the tip!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1488 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd probably start with Ferdinand IV style looks similar...sorry I cant be of more help....But there are experts here who will know...Paul
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every little bit helps!
Valued Member
Spain
89 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know much about late medieval coinage in Spain, but I can ask some friends :).

Correct weight is 5.5 grams? it looks too heavy, most of medieval coins are under 1 gram

Regards
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it's 5.5 grams and 28mm. Thanks.
Valued Member
Spain
89 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've found it

It is not medieval (I also thought it was, Paul), it is from first years of modern age. Weight is normal on this ages

4 maravedís in the name of Catholic Monarchs. Coruña mint, striked under Charles V or Philip II. A is mark of assayer Antonio de Salamanca, it is dated between 1550 and 1565 (we know the years that Antonio worked on the mint)

On observe: FERNANDVS ET ELISABET, on reverse: REX ET REGINA CASTELLE LEGIONIS. Similar to this one.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6049956

Legends could vary a bit, they are usually abbreviated, and vary even between dies on the same mint.
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome. Thanks for all of the great info!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1488 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great detective work txabs!....Wooh I was miles out!...
Valued Member
Spain
89 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  05:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did not do anything, I just asked to a friend who knows about medieval coinage, and he told me we were wrong, and suggested me RRCC maravedís. All credits to him xD

If you like these coinage, I recommend you this catalogue, it is cheap and great (but in Spanish). @Jay also has a lot of information about countermarks and restrikes during XVII century as you posted last week.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOS-MARAVE...AOSwnK9ZRByA

Regards!

Edited by txabs
08/12/2019 05:46 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05