Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Montreal British Militia Token

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
25 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  07:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add field_of_mars to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi again,

I don't want to abuse your help to much but wanted to hear your opinion on one last coin I have recently found detecting. It's a Montreal British Militia token and I would like to know its approx. grade.

Thanks again

Valued Member
Canada
226 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  08:14 am  Show Profile   Check NumisCat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisCat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a VF or possibly better example that is corroded. Terrific find!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29005 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The back side makes me think of a button,are you sure it is a token?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17475 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with John, looks like either a button or cuff link.
Canada
25 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add field_of_mars to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a button that was used as a currency in early 1800's. You can notice in the picture of its back that the shank has been cut off and the space flattened in order for the button to be used as a coin,closely matching the size of the British Halfpenny.
"Among soldiers constantly trying to stretch their pay, buttons were a favourite substitute for coins. Typically, the shank was removed from the back and the button was flattened before being placed into circulation".
Being at the same time one of the earliest Canadian tokens and an early military button the examples of it are part of both : The National Currency Collection of the Bank of Canada and The Canadian War Museum collection. It's featured in Charlton Coin Guide.

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/token...-1830&id=324
Edited by field_of_mars
08/15/2019 09:54 am
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better than my example. See this thread page 17. http://goccf.com/t/163981&whichpage=17

Montreal British Militia Button / token c.1830-1870. Charlton # MB-2 $250CAD in VG, $350 in F, $500 in VF
Valued Member
Canada
486 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billfrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find , I have tried to find a couple at auction , but have always been outbid.
Canada
25 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add field_of_mars to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1960 NYGiants

The button itself dates to late 1700's, not sure why in the coin guide it's ID'd to the early Victorian period where as in War Museum it's late 1700's
Valued Member
Canada
67 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A terrific find!
Since these seem to rarely be available in the marketplace, they fly under the radar of some collectors .Crossover collecting in the militaria world is stronger for such items, but it presumably is a token since the shank is gone.
I have an example as well, detected too of course ,its a hard one to cross off the shopping list lol
Canada
25 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add field_of_mars to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was really surprising to find it in a good condition on a plowed field. In my view, it was definitely a token as on top of the shank being cut off but that space was polished afterwards.
Valued Member
Canada
402 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A plowed field! Smart move! Given the paucity of productive public areas now for detectorists, any excavation-like activity in an older area of settlement can prove pleasing.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05