Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1966 Kennedy Half Dollar SMS Ridges Separated By Horizontal Line

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bailey500 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was in an SMS set that I opened.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1699 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok ,lets look at this .
The planchet was punched from a coin metal sheet. This process will actually leave a slight protruding ridge in the middle of the then blanks edge. This ridge is one of the things to look for with a curved clip. So far there is no groove around the coin.
Next , the upsetting mill rolls the blank to give it a protorim and the exact diameter for feeding into the striikinng chamber.when this is done the blank becomes a planchet. For the groove to happen at this point , a upstanding ridge would have to be present on the wheels of the upsetting machine. Not something that I have heard of.
The next step is the striking chamber where if this anomaly were to form there , a ridge would have to be present on the collar, though if that were the case the finished coin would never get ejected from the collar.
This is why I said that I didn't know how it could have happened until after the strike.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2394 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
need a larger photo of the edge of the coin..
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bailey500 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bailey500 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need to use the correct terminology. The error is on he Edge not rim. Sorry.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15743 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to have a DARK line in the center of the edge, ut in the last image that dark line does not appear to be either higher or lower than the outer layers.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1699 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the last photo on the previous page the dark line looked to be in a groove around the edge. In this last photo I can't tell if the dark line is on the crest of the reeds or in each valley between the crests. I also am not perceiving a groove around the edge.
Pillar of the Community
United States
919 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like toning at the center of the edge/reeding. I'm checking my sets as soon as I can to see if they have toning or discolored areas.
"Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert A. Heinlein

Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  05:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bailey500 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really appreciate the help.I wish I could get better pictures. The dark line is recessed. And it looks like a partial collar except that the reeds are all there...it looks like an oreo with the dark part being the filling.
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bailey500 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a comparison of two 40% clad coins.
Maybe this will help. The one on the left has the odd edge.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1699 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is an excellent photo. I have say though, that it shows the dark line to be toning as I had thought it might be in one of my first posts . There are spots in this photo that show the dark line to be blotchy, as you would expect toning to be as it migrates on the metal
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15743 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the last picture it is clear that the center of the ridges are not depressed which they would be if it was actually a groove. It is some kind of odd toning.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2019  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sir Derrin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A sharp tip sharpie marker comes to mind when looking at this....
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bailey500 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And a steady hand...
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05