Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which One Would You Rather...?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  10:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The 2019 gold Liberty went on sale yesterday (Aug. 15th). This years palladium coin goes on sale the first week in September. You only have enough money budgeted for one. Which one do you buy? (Please don't give me extraneous reasons like, "I'll take the palladium because the Liberty is going to be available and I'll be able to save enough during that time to buy it as as well.)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16886 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If those were the choices I'd go with the palladium simply because I don't own a single one.

As I've been completing the last of my big type coin needs I've explored many other potential areas of interest and one of those has been a palladium and platinum simply to round out the "End" of my US collection.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40343 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd go for the palladium as well, basically for the same reasons.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4040 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would go with the palladium coin for the following reasons:

1. I think it has a more attractive overall design.

2. I think it will prove more popular with collectors in the future and have better potential for a numismatic premium over its melt value.

3. I bought the 2018 version and am curious to see how it compares to the 2019 version

Pillar of the Community
United States
1090 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I'll break the trend -- If I were going to purchase one (and I have no plans to purchase either one) I'd go with the gold. Here's why --

1) I'm not really a fan of using designs from other coins on the bullion coins (don't have a single ASE or Au Buffalo either).

2) I like coins with changing designs. It's why I collect commemoratives as well. So far, the Liberty coins are changing the design with each coin.

3) Gold is a traditional coining precious metal. Palladium is an expensive industrial metal, but it hasn't really been used for coins (until the recent bullion offerings) that I'm aware of.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4040 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Palladium has been used as a coinage metal for over 50 years.

I'm most familiar with the coins of Canada (2000s), France (1980s) and Russia (1990s) but there are at least a dozen other countries that have issued palladium coins.

They are certainly not mainstream, but palladium coins are out there for someone looking for a specialized collection.
Edited by commems
08/16/2019 4:13 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12369 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The palladium, its the more popular coin by a large margin
Pillar of the Community
United States
1090 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Palladium has been used as a coinage metal for over 50 years.

No doubt, but for only a few coins and anything in my life time is recent to me
Edited by BadDog
08/16/2019 6:59 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10011 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd go with Pd as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1098 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pd. I don't have any of that metal yet.
Valued Member
United States
451 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would chose the 2019 gold. While beautiful in design like any other coin, I would think most collectors acquire them for the long term as a retirement or for the unforeseen hardship. The market has been steady at between $1,200 to $1,400 since late 2013. That's seven years. With all that's going on, despite record economic growth, the past few weeks indicate a soon to be rise. Personally, topping the 1800 mark of 2012 in the short term is not out of the question.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05