Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Real Or Fake 17th Century Poland?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2607 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  3:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am having a hard time deciding on whether these coins currently up for auction on eBay are authentic or not.

1658 Ort, Gdansk
On eBay:

Authentic coin:

1662 Ort, Torun
On eBay (same seller)

Authentic coin:

My gut tells me the first one is OK, and the second one is fake.
Edited by tdziemia
08/19/2019 5:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2074 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd pass on both.

The first has very fine sharp-edged lines, most noticeable on the lips and in the fields in front of the face. Evidence of recent manufacture.

Hair detail is too even and flat on the second.

I passed on the 1563 Swedish Klippe from the same seller. Many fine sharp edged features on this one. The 1724 Russian Poltina doesn't look right either.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13590 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdz, I don't like the shape of the letter Ss on the second piece.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2074 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I form an overall impression of a seller from how many suspect coins I see in their listings. This helps me decide whether to take a chance on the one I'm interested in. If there are several that look like fakes, I pass on them all.

Another red flag is in the seller's description of every lot:

"If for any reason you feel like you may be unhappy with buying this coin or feel like you might complain after receiving it please refrain from bidding."

which to me means:

"if you are going to be upset that you bought a fake and were ripped off, then don't bid."
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13590 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If there are several that look like fakes, I pass on them all.

Yes very good.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2607 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, guys for the advice.

Agree there is a lot that looks wrong about the second one. Even some basic stuff like the coin is too round and well centered (not to mention the abnormal patina).

This seller's stuff seems to range from obvious fakes (that even I can tell) to very well made fakes to real stuff...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2074 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A Swedish coin dealer posted a warning on Facebook, about the fake 16 ore Erik XIV klippe sold by "Breggmann".

The Breggmann coin is in the third picture below:

Glad I passed on it!

While some of the coins for sale by this dealer may be authentic, I will follow the advise to "never drink from a poisoned well" and avoid all of them.
Valued Member
Lithuania
342 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Polish colleagues about the first counterfeit "... a na eBayu "breggmann" znowu oferuje "star#261;" Polsk#281;: tym razem orta gda#324;skiego 1658: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Poland-Ort-...123868202896
Cavete Collegae!" http://forum.tpzn.pl/index.php?topic=7610.555
Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05