Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Have A 1946 5 Cent Newfoundland Coin

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  08:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rch3232 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this coin that has been sitting in a safe for around 20 years. I don't know anything about coins. It looks like it's in good condition but could use some cleaning. Does anyone know roughly what it's worth?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
28984 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Do not clean it. Give it a bit for a member to grade it.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rch3232 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, thanks.
Valued Member
Canada
352 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  09:39 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a key date very rare coin. 2,041 minted only

Condition looks EF+. Hard to see the obverse very well with the pics posted and the toning.

A real treasure find!! DO NOT clean this coin. It's worth about $1,000.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28984 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At 1,000 dollars it is worth sending in to be slabbed.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rch3232 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies! I'm extremely happy if it's worth around $1000! The pics I took don't do it justice, it definitely looks better up close, in real life.

Sorry for my ignorance but what does sending it to be slabbed mean?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40346 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remarkable story, congrats!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2546 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being slabbed is to send it to a professional grading outfit. Having the coin professionally graded adds about 20-30% to what you can expect to received from a "raw" coin like you have in your hand. In Canada, that would be ICCS in Toronto. If you want to go a step further (and a little more expensive)is to send it to PCGS or NGC in the US (you'll be paying roughly $50, including shipping & insurance to send it)to get it "graded". Or you can have a dealer in your area look at it and sell it to him, but he may only offer 50-60% of any "book" value. Look on Ebay for "sold" listings of what you have. First, enter a search for your coin and then go to "advanced" in the upper right and scroll down until you see "items sold" and then hit the "search" button and you will see what other coins like yours have actually SOLD for, not what someone is asking. There are only 2 that have sold in the last 2 months and a big spread between something less that $750 and about $1300. Good luck ... great coin.
Edited by okiecoiner
08/21/2019 11:53 am
Valued Member
Canada
354 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On paper $1000 seems about right but you can't sell to a book so expect less. Depending on how much effort you want to put in $600-800 in pocket(there are expenses to selling coins even yourself so a $900 dollar sale might result in $800 in your pocket). A fairly rare piece not in bad shape. Pretty ugly toning though.
Learn More...
United States
76155 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10139 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1294 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  01:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin I would think it would grade ef 40-au50 Maybe hard to tell
Valued Member
Canada
125 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
seems like no one answered the question....slabbed refers to having the coin graded by an independant ( reputable 3rd party grading company...in Canada ICCS possibly CCCS, in USA PCGS or NGC seem to be the most prestigious and accepted (3rd party graders )...takes much of the arguing about what the condition of the coin is...they provide a generally consistent standard of grading so it makes evaluating condition more consistent albeit with their own peculiar biases
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15762 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  03:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It will certainly loose value if it is cleaned in any way.

I prefer blast white unblemished coins (who doesn't?)
I would prefer to buy it at 1/3 of the price, if it was cleaned, but, for you, that would be an exercise in madness.

I quite understand the temptation to remove the blotchiness, but just don't.

Blotchiness affects eye appeal and thus vale, but that is a subjective consideration in the eyes of a potential buyer.

I agree: get it slabbed - potential value more than justifies the grading and shipping fees, the blotchiness would help to reinforce authenticity and alleged provenance.

Grading:
full eight pearls on the band of the crown, King's hair detail sharp, no wear on the band of the orb on top of the crown.
I an unable to feel the millings on the edge of the coin, but I strongly suspect that they are quite sharp.
The very uneven patina makes it very difficult in these pictures to see any tiny scratches or minor nicks, that may affect the grade. A TPGrader would be much more easily be able to assess these than we can from pictures.

MS64 if the fields are scratch and nick free, MS 62 or 3 if not.
Valued Member
Canada
402 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's what to look for. Get a loupe and examine the band of the crown. There are two small teardrops on the band, horizontally positioned and below the second and third sets of pearls. If these two teardrops are fully visible and sharp you'll have an AU or higher coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10626 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow..Nice KEY date Newfoundland coin, as others said, do not clean it.
True North
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05