Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gatewest Coins, Winnipeg Mb. What Is Your Experience.

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
75 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  2:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I want to first start this thread by stating that I am NOT bashing this LCS.

I live in a small community of less than 1,000 people and I spend a good chunk of my disposable income on numismatics. Every coin I buy comes through the mail so when I have the oppurtunity to go to a store front coin store, I feel like I'm in my happy place.

My last 3 experiences with gatewest have been nothing short of disappointing. They dont acknowledge me when I walk in, I asked to see their "penny binder" as I'm looking for about 20-30 different pennies and their response was "we dont do that, you ask for a coin and we get it from the back"

They only have about 50 NCLT coins displayed and their supplies and that's in. I just want to browse and end up spending more than I planned on coins that look neat.

I said to the lady working "wow you have alot of cool stuff here" and she said "ya". I just wish they were more social with us like some of the other LCS's I've been to over the years. I blame it on my being a younger adult. I find we dont get taken serious in this hobby which is unfortunate because I hear rumours that this hobby will die off if my generation doesn't continue it.

I'm going to check their website out and head back with a list. I'm sure they do what they do for reasons. Just strange how you cant just browse.
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was the company that canceled my online order a month ago for a popular product because I wasn't enough of a regular customer and/or buying enough with it.

Take that for what you will.
Valued Member
Canada
372 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdcoinman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They have been removed from my list of trusted dealers a long time ago . I presented them a list of certified high grade coins I wanted to sell. They offered 10% of the trend on the lot. A few of the coins had a value between $2,000 and $5,000 . Told their employee to buy a book to learn a bit more about coins and never consider another visit . I guess they do not need me anyway.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1295 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't comment on experiences there.

But will say weather or not a person is going to spend their hard earned money they should be treated with kindness and respect in any business environment. Money isn't easily earned.

Happy collecting, keep doing it if it makes you happy. Lots of good people here.
Valued Member
Canada
52 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sbr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had ordered a coin online a few years ago and waited a month and nothing showed up.Then phoned them and they said it would be shipped right away, two weeks later nothing phoned again and again they said it would be shipped and they assured me they had it. About three weeks later a refund showed up in the mail ,no explanation or reason ,phoned and was not impressed with the response, up until then I had purchased a lot of precious metals from them . Have not ordered anything from them since. I have since dealt with J&M , Colonial ,CC and C with absolutely no problem (my two cents worth).
Pillar of the Community
United States
2546 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! This sounds like Gatewest is not the place to do any business. One or 2 stories can sometimes be explained, but there is a remarkable similarity here.
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have ordered from them on several occasions. Each time they sent me an email confirmation stating that they mail items to the US via a USPS drop off, once a week. They must have someone make the drive once a week from Winnipeg to the border. Never had an issue with non delivery or order confirmation.

edit to add: all items were ordered on-line and paid by credit card.
Edited by 1960NYGiants
08/23/2019 9:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
735 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've bought from them several times through their eBay listings and every order went fine. I was never disappointed by the items quality, and I got them and decent prices.
The shipping (mailing) is somewhat slow to cross the border. An order I made with them last month took ten days, and I am currently on day 13 waiting for my last purchase. As stated earlier, cross-border shipping might just be once a week.

CanadaPennies19: Sorry you didn't have the visit experience you were hoping for. I spent my life in retail; dealing with customers every day. I just want to remind you (and others) that those on the other side of the counter are people too, and have great days and lousy days, and our feelings and moods can change daily (if not hourly), so maybe your next visit might be better for you.
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grahamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 2 experiences were very similar to the first poster. I live four or so hours a way but am in Winnipeg every 3-4 months, and the first time we went in the lady was talking and talking to this person at the counter so we (I was with 2 of my children) waited and when the person left I asked if they had a particular coin and was told that it was now too late and "no one could open the vault." Now granted I had work clothes on but I don't think I looked too bad.

The second time I asked if I could look at Morgan dollars and was told the same thing "you ask for a specific coin and we get it from the back." I am sort of new to the hobby and am not always sure what I am looking for. It's funny because the week before I had been in a small store in Wichita Kansas and the dealer was so nice, friendly, and helpful and we ended up buying a fair bit from him. I won't go back to Gateway.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1390 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't purchased anything from them in several years, but in past years they were always fair with pricing as well as top quality items delivered on time I think they had set prices for delivery. No complaints here

Edit: As for going through Brick and Mortar store inventory a lot of stores wont let you and I have been asked twice now to leave there store just for asking if I could go through there large cents a store in Regina and Edmonton both rudely asked me to leave the store
Edited by papeldog
08/26/2019 7:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1558 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've ordered from them only once, and it was through their website. I found their price for the item I bought to be fair, and delivery wasn't more than a week or two to my memory. I got pretty much what I expected as far as online ordering goes. I've never been to their brick/mortar location but I would think any retailer of numismatics would bend over backwards to accommodate customers. I think it'd be fair to assume the hobby is a declining interest among today's youth. I'd be trying to build my customer base by showing them whatever they wanted. But I suppose, they don't store high end items out in the open for security reasons which is completely understandable in today's world. Many shops I've been to display lots of stuff with relatively low value with bins of old low quality pennies or nickels etc, along with other random items. Normally, there are items you'd least expect tucked away, with a little conversation the key to revealing them. As to the store mentioned that turned someone away for asking to see coins, I don't know what to say. Seems like a shot in the foot to me.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1529 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have only had one experience with Gatewest and it was a good one.

I would say though that coin dealers, as a group, are about the least customer friendly retail operators I know of. Many dealers have a tendency to "talk down" to customers. Many try to take advantage of uninformed sellers. Many know surprisingly little about forgeries, errors, grading and other aspects of the hobby. Of course there are many dealers who are great operators. But it is surprising that he hobby has survived given the LCS experience that many collectors have to suffer through.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2210 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2019  06:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No experience at their store but I have talked to them a couple of times when they have travelled to a coin show here in Ontario.

I can't put my finger on it, but I honestly didn't like the interaction we had.

I found them to be somewhat distant, uncaring and unprofessional.

Like talking to someone that lives in a trailer park.
Edited by doubleeagle59
08/28/2019 06:24 am
Valued Member
Canada
322 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2019  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While Gatewest are not my online CS of choice, I have had a few transactions over the years and I have not had an issue. I tend not to go to them as they are often more expensive than the other online vendors for the same items.

Canada
26 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2019  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UncleVicky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you get to talk to Ian you will find him to be professional and a fair grader knowledgable in all aspects of numismatics. his young employee has trouble grading he cannot attribute varieties correctly and as others have stated makes you feel like he is doing you a favor if you buy a coin. I dealt with Ian for years but now I will not deal with Gatewest. Vic
Valued Member
Canada
75 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2019  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow I'm amazed (not really) by everyones experiences. I went through past eBay transactions and realized that I've ordered from them numerous times without error or problems. Pricing fair and shipping quite in line with other coin stores.

Must just be employees at the store front, maybe that's the norm. Either way, i'll pass next time I have the opportunity to go. They must be doing well to be open for as long as they have so best of luck to them and hopefully not too many people experience what I did!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05