Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gatewest Coins, Winnipeg Mb. What Is Your Experience.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
488 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billfrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have ordered once a long time ago , and it was an okay dealing. I am fortunate to live in a city where the coin stores will greet you and just give you the box or book and let you browse at your own leisure even when I come straight from work. you need to borrow a loupe ,no problem. Plus the coin shows are all around (best luck for me) , a good one is put on by the London Numismatic Society ( small plug)and luckily it is coming up ( September 15th)
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2019  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins1989 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's been years since I was in Gateway but I experienced the same thing. They acted as if they couldn't wait for me to leave.

So, they offer to go 'get' a specific coin from their vault? Just one example? I like to sort through several and make a selection. They must think they are selling fast food.
Edited by Coins1989
09/01/2019 9:15 pm
Valued Member
Canada
177 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2019  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thehulk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've gone to Gatewest a few times, traded in all my extra 20 for 20 coins at one point in exchange for a 1912 $5 gold coin. No red flags from me about them, never ordered online from them though. As far as brick and mortar stores in Winnipeg, are there any others left? Collectibles Canada closed a few months back, the owners retired apparently.

One of the better experiences I've had was at the Manitoba Coin Club show, which just so happens to be coming up the weekend of Sep 28-29 this year. Lots of tables and great finds for good prices. Got some great looking gold coins for close to spot. If you're from the area or will be in town that weekend it's worth checking out.
Valued Member
Canada
215 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add the_sifu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As far as brick and mortar stores in Winnipeg, are there any others left? Collectibles Canada closed a few months back, the owners retired apparently.

Provincial Stamp and Coin. Al the owner of that brick and mortar store will be at the Manitoba Coin show also. I sold some of my spare Canadian decimal coins to him this morning and chatted with him for over 30 minutes. He also gave me for free, the 2020 Charlton Catalogue Canadian Coins 73rd Edition by M. Drake

The last time I was at Gatewest Coins, they stock some display cases with antique rings and other jewellery. The only display case that I was interested in, was the mechanical rotating display case that held the Canadian decimal coins. Most of their business seems to be centered around bullion and NCLT. Yes I even asked to see the Canadian coin decimal binders as well and was denied.

In regards, to the store Collectibles Canada, I went there once and only once.

Valued Member
Canada
179 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  01:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twoods to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting to hear the replies, I have been dealing with Gatewest back to the 1980s and would rate them very highly. The knowledge level of their owner is second to none, and pricing is extremely fair. I spent a lot of time in the store while I was young, and the owner Ian was great resource and person to learn from. He never rushed me and was always very generous with his time. Best thing to do is check out their coins online, then schedule a time to get together and check them out with the staff in the store.
Valued Member
Canada
215 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add the_sifu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Must just be employees at the store front, maybe that's the norm

Just to follow up, Gatewest at one time had a ticket numbering system, it felt like being in a catalog merchant's store like "Consumers Distributing", waiting in line to have your order fulfilled. If you are old enough to remember that business model. It's not a bad idea, as customers are served in the correct order. Again most of the busines seems to be in bullion and NCLT. Yes, the high quality numismatic items are in the vault, you have to request the item by country, denomination, year, and grade, and they will fetch it for you from the back (security reasons from the store). For hobby collectors this may not be acceptable to them as a method to do business and form a numismatic friendship or customer relationship.

If you have taken any sales or marketing courses, first impressions are very important. Yes, the one or two ladies in front need to be more personable and smile more. At least look more welcoming at a minimum. A little more numismatic education for up front staff would be helpful also. Ian spends most of the time in the back of the business. The last Canadian Decimal coin I purchased a few years ago, Chris came out from the back, sold it to me, and we had a 2 minute chat before he rang it up. I was happy with the purchase and he was happy with the sale. Before that happened, I was last in line to 3 customers, 2 were sitting in front placing their order, and I was standing behind the gentlemen ahead of me. I saw bullion and NCLT transactions being perform. If you ever want to stop there and have a look at what is in the display cases, I would recommend that. Just be patient when your in line to place your order. My brother told me there is a massive amount of road work in front of the store, so wait till the season of construction ends. I have never purchased anything from them online, so no experience there.

Personally for me, I have no issues buying Canadian decimals items from Gatewest, though I would not sell to them. I would buy from Al and sell my spares back to him and have done so twice in my collecting hobby. Now if you ask me why? Answer is, Gatewest business expenses looks a lot higher than what Al's are. So I believe Al would be able to make a higher offer on my spare coins than Gatewest. Expenses like the number of employees, carrying cost, store property managing expenses, etc.

Quote:
I have been dealing with Gatewest back to the 1980s and would rate them very highly

Yes, I was also in the old store before the expansion. The small looking shack like structure on the far left side of the building on the corner. I remember, it was a bit dark in there, it was cramped, and I could smell a little mildew in the air. I am actually happy that they expanded to the neighboring building. It was one of the first coin stores I visited when I started collecting.
Edited by the_sifu
09/22/2019 10:30 pm
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't figured out how to reply to a specific comment, but twoods, that's the point of my thread.

"Best thing to do is check out their coins online, then schedule a time to get together and check them out with the staff in the store."

That's not what people are typically doing when visiting a LCS. if I'm looking for a specific high grade coin, maybe yeah, but as stated in my original post, browsing is how I end up spending my money. I'm interested in a bit of everything.
Edited by CanadaPennies19
09/22/2019 9:57 pm
Valued Member
Canada
179 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twoods to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Point taken Canadapennies19...I just wanted to share that I believe Gatewest to be a treasure trove of items, and that I have rarely found a dealer to be fairer in terms of pricing...

I also wanted to offer that I have had a way better experience calling the store ahead to let them know I am coming, for example, I visited recently to look at raw silver dollars and by the time I arrived they had pulled out some great coins to hunt through (of course as you mentioned in your post I also ended up purchasing most of them!)

Either way, good point made, the local coin shop should make sure to keep that local coin shop feel to accommodate their valued customers
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05