Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1948 A Cent To Small Denticle

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
75 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  8:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

I have a 1937-2012 penny collection that I'm working on and my goal is to have ALL red mint state coins. I'm missing the 1948 A to Small Denticle variety. Upon searching eBay I found a few listings with circulated "brown" examples.

This one was just listed

I don't have my book near me but $7,500 for a RB MS-63, is this correct? If so I'm in trouble trying to acquire a BU red one.

Yikes

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1529 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a stupid price. That being said, this is a very hard coin to find in high MS. I think harder than the 1949 ATD. But for this grade......I would say.......$300 maybe?
There are very few sales to go by. If PCGS puts it in the Canadian registry set, expect upward pricing pressure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2546 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one raw .. don't know about the 63:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-A-TO-...AOSwIoJdTskY
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ppincher1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey okiecoiner, that's a nice one too, and it comes with a bonus. It has a die crack on the bottom of the bust!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1529 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that second one has small denticles. The true small denticles coin has distinctly smaller denticles.

https://www.PCGS.com/valueview/geor...509902&h=pop
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1529 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One marker for small denticles: The "I" in "GRATIA" should look like it could fit in between the denticles above it. In the case of this second listing, it clearly does not fit between the denticles. Buyer beware on this coin.
Edited by Smallcentguy
08/23/2019 10:32 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2546 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The $75 coin that I pulled off Ebay looks to be a "small" The "A" points to the denticle and the "I" is between the denticle. I'm not a small cent collector .. just trying to help.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1529 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okie,

For both large and small, the A will point to the denticle and the I will be between.

If you have small and a large coins side by side, the difference is very obvious. On the small denticles coins, the surface area taken up by an individual denticle is maybe 1/3 the surface area of a large denticle.

Look at the ICCS coin in first post (unfortunately not a great photo) or the PCGS reference above and then look at the $75 coin.

The gap between the denticles on the $75 coin is clearly not wide enough to accommodate the top of the "I" between them. On the ICCS coin, the gap is much wider.
Learn More...
Canada
8557 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  12:11 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
- that eBay link Okie posted is NOT a small denticle variety.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05