Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1913 Type 2 Buffalo Head Nickel Toned (My 2nd 1913)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  7:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Again...looking for grading opines. This is my other toned Buffalo. Not as bright as 1st, but pretty nonetheless. Except for chin boogie. :-)

Actually I have a 3rd toned Buffalo, and may post shortly as well. A huge Thx to all who do take the time to give opinions. I need it as I have limited experience, but getting better. These picks and purchases I think ere well worth it. Grading will confirm whether that is the case.

I will post Pro Grades when that is complete for your viewing pleasure and accuracy validation.

Edited by BuyGuns
08/23/2019 7:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29506 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just wondering where you got these nicely toned coins?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eBay....yup. I was suspect of this particular one, but it's looking like it is authentic, but time will tell. Seller said these had been in rolls from years ago. They have 17,302 100% feedbacks, and only deal in coins. Must be doing something right.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41448 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tell us more about that disturbance in front of the chin. Planchet flaw?
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Frog. I have no idea what that is. Possibly as you said. I was thinking carbon spot from a small spit hit in past. These are mostly copper I believe. Just not messing with it. It will possibly cause no grade if declared damage. Conservation fix may be a choice being a unique toned coin. Again, the toning I am assuming is real. If not, all bets off. But I think it is. Spot is a mystery. Don't have the tools needed to really look close. Even if I did (microscope?) I still mat not know what it is or caused it. It is a great coin to view for sure, less that eye sore spot. Probably why the seller sold it. Thx
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FOLLOW UP Frog...the more I think about it, I may research and see if a conservation fix is possible, and see if that could bring it back up to full gradable potential, with proper paperwork validating fix. Maybe someone here knows about that stuff. But being such a nice coin I think it may be worth it.
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FOLLOW UP 2...I looked up conservation of coins. Only logical answer, I will send off to NCS, which will determine if it's fixable, and if so, they fix and send off to NGC for grading post correction of coin. Perfect. 4% of coins value is cost. Modern coins after 1955 is only $11. Not bad. But 4% of assigned value is good to. If it's worth say $500...then $20 fee. Reasonable, I'm in. Of course, fixable does not guarantee gradable, or higher grade. They won't correct mint induced conditions. So I assume if no damage, and it is mint issue, it can be graded, albeit, the chin spot will cause a visual grade drop I'm sure. Hope they can correct. We will see. Will let all know how it goes. All two of you thus far. lol

A couple side notes, with that knowledge (thanks Frog for being the catalyst to get me hopping :-)), I have other coins that may need conservation love. This is a great tool for that issue. For example, I have a beautiful 1909 VDB Wheat cent, that looks like it has an aqua green toning, but I believe it is a stain for sure. So if they clean that up, this coin will look outstanding.

Another similar 1909 wheat, has a ridiculous tone, great strike, but somehow, someone scraped a small portion of the tone/patina off the right stalk on the reverse. So you see this small bright copper spot against the perfect strike and tone. Very disappointing. No damage, just a small tone scrape away. So....on we go!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41448 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To correct an earlier comment of yours - these are NOT copper in any way.

Is this disturbance below the surface of the coin, or in any way raised above it?
Edited by Coinfrog
08/24/2019 7:33 pm
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Frog. Sorry about delay. Just things got busy rest of weekend. Anyway...regarding the metal content, I got my info from USACoin site. These are stats they gave, but maybe I'm missing something. Won't be the first time:

1913 Buffalo nickels
Indian Head Nickel - Ground Type
Mintage: 30,993,520 Minted at: Philadelphia (No Mint Mark)
Designer - Engraver: James Earle Fraser Metal Composition: 75% Copper - 25% Nickel
Diameter: 21.2 mm Mass / Weight: 5 grams

Also...I will take some more pictures to see if I can capture that spot area, then post. It really is small, and does not look that bad. But impossible to see depth or any other issue to the naked eye. I will do my best. Ok...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41448 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basic question - is it raised or below the surface of the coin?
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Revised from last REPLY: I was able double two magnifying glasses with direct light on it. It does appear to be raised. At first I thought not. But it is. A couple of what look like pits are holes or openings in the material that is the spot. I can see toned metal in a couple of areas below that spot. So that is a good sign.

Nothing more I can tell/do. Too small. But at one angle I did get what I saw above. I am going to let conservation take a whack at it. Then we will know.
Edited by BuyGuns
08/26/2019 10:14 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17850 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details, cleaned and artificially toned.
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx Eagle. Will let all know the results when complete via NCS/NGC.
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2019  03:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For all who have been here and see this last comment...I created a new thread/topic for this nickel, with new information/pictures/etc. You can find it posted 2 Sept 19. Thx
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05