Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roll End Rainbow Toned 1882-O Morgan $ Obverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  12:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver Star to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Recently bought quite a few rolls common-date Morgan $ rolls stored in paper wrappers. I'm sending this beautifully toned (hard to capture it in a picture) 1882-O to PCGS. When it comes back (probably MS-62 or MS-63, what is the value? What is the premium in dollars or percentage markup over the grey sheet value of the coin? I'm sure there's no correct or right/wrong answer to this. But would like opinion of more experienced collectors/dealers.

Also have an 1888-P (similar rainbow toning on about half to two-thirds of the coin) but it was on the other end of the paper roll and is toned on the REVERSE. Is the REVERSE rainbow-toned coin as popular with collectors as one rainbow-toned on the OBVERSE? Priced the same, lower or higher?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1190 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  03:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a bag toned dollar that was placed in a roll. Hard to see clearly from my cellphone, but I worry about the area along the rim from about 2 o'clock to 6 o'clock. When you twirl the coin, is the luster interrupted through the black toning? If the black has a flat look to it, and the luster is interrupted, it has reached terminal toning. If the black offers the same flash as the rest of the coin, it is fine.
There is no formula for price on these, as every piece is unique and must be considered on it's own (grade, mint, scarcity, and most importantly eye appeal).
Obverse is the money side, reverse offers very little premium.
Edited to add a welcome to our forum.

Edited by hadleydog
08/26/2019 03:40 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29913 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. You can get an idea of current values using eBay sold values and Numismedea.com
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42119 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Larger pics of both sides would help!

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
08/26/2019 08:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
9042 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As @hadleydog posted, the toning on this coin does not appear to be the result of toning while rolled. It sure looks like a bag toned coin and it appears to have reached terminal stage between 2 and 6.
A reverse toned Morgan would need to be exceptional to bring any sort of decent premium.
I kind of sound like a parrot but @hadleydog nailed it..

And to CCF as well..
Member SSDC, TNA
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17898 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Value is determined by numerical grade and eye appeal.

Price is determined by Value for the # of eligible buyers in the venue that presents it for sale.

There are few $500,000 buyers for an 1804 silver dollar, even though that is a "steal it" price.

The number of strictly toned collectors is moderate.

The untouched white silver that is uncleaned and brightly lustrous is a larger population in the general collector community because it's easier to understand.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42119 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well said. I'd still like to see larger pics of both sides of this coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6733 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF and concur with the comments above.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05