Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1962 Half Dollar Possible Die Error On Unicorn

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2019  6:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rens Dekker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello folks, I have acquired an interest in examining my old coins in the past few months. I have been able to find information on many errors however I found some that do not show up on any of the coin sites. So if the 2 things I explain are insignificant please understand I'm just a learner. (1) I have nine of these coins and on all but one the unicorn has what appears to be a distinctive tongue above and touching the jaw. The odd one has a clear and open mouth. No indication of this raised line. (2) I have three 1982 dollars on one there is a distinctive crack or chip in the chair leg in the foreground above the second T in Constitution. I was wondering if these are significant or am I looking too hard. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17459 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2019  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

We would be happy to help if we could see photos.

Without them it is very difficult to answer your very good questions.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4628 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2019  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rens Dekker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should have thought of this myself before posting. I will upload some photos in 2-3 days, just waiting for a marco lens for my iPhone to arrive.
Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will upload some photos in 2-3 days, just waiting for a marco lens for my iPhone to arrive.
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rens Dekker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As indicated here is a close up of the unicorn's mouth on my odd coin. Also attached is a close up of one of the others I was using for comparison. On the coinscanada site the unicorn has this ridge on the bottom jaw. This missing ridge does not show up in the known errors. I would like to know whether or not I may have a unique coin. Sorry couldn't seem to upload my comparison photo. I hope I'm not stepping outside of the guidelines by sending a second post with my comparison photo.

The crack in the chair leg doesn't look
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rens Dekker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Comparison photo for 1962 half dollar unicorn.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1615 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rens Dekker welcome I dont have any 1962 coins out right now. I got my hands on a 1963 these coins should be identical. compare your coin to this image. it should help you here are the images. see from 1960 to 1964 they are all the same.

Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rens Dekker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your reply Rocky. I just checked about 8 other coins in that range along with a 66 and they all have a similar ridge over the bottom jaw. The more I look at these the more I think the ridge is likely suppose to represent the lower teeth protruding from the jaw.(Just my thought) I have only come across the one without the ridge.

I will be posting photos of the cracked/chipped chair leg on my 82 Constitution dollar soon, just working on a close up.
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rens Dekker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am attaching a better photo of the 62 half dollar with arrows pointing to the areas that I am curious about. I have examined approximately 25 other coins of this pattern and only the one has these oddities. Top arrow- larger space between nose and point on banner. Left arrow- no ridge above bottom jaw. Right arrow- the indented impression is pointed rather than rounded. I am curious as to whether anyone thinks this is a weak stamping or if grease may have been in die? The coin is in good condition overall, it does not appear to be wear. Opinions would be appreciated as to whether or not this may be a unique coin.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05