Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943 Steel Wheat Cent. RPM S/S Mint? Weak "4" In Date.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  01:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just seeing what folks think on this Steel penny. Pictures marginal. Can add more if needed, but just put for quick opinions.

Doubled 'S'....Why?

Weak '4'....Die grease/dirt?

Coin has nice shine. More than pictures show. Looks nice in hand. But just asking about affect of those anomalies. Thx

Bedrock of the Community
United States
29020 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doubled 'S'....Why? : Maybe third party plating debris
Weak '4'....Die grease/dirt? : Greaser...somewhat common
Coin has nice shine : May have been re-plated
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I knew the weak number is common on many coins for reasons stated.

But my eyebrow went up on the plating potential. Never once considered that when looking at the coin in hand, it looks like an aged 43 steel penny, that was handled fairly well, and probably sat around a long time. Hence it's relatively good condition, save the issues noted. Hmmm

But I absolutely understand the points. Appreciate that. I will bust this bad boy back out and inspect closer. Just found the pictures in my Coin file and figured why not ask. As I will do with many more. Ok. Thx
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18430 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice photos though. And possibly grease fill die for that weak 4. I kind of like that mint mark doubling but might be from a worn die.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
23870 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  11:10 am  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die Deterioration Doubling on the mintmark?
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1973 D Lincoln Memorial cent With Recurring Die Subsidence Error Information. http://goccf.com/t/304624
Machine Doubling tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Hicks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks cool. Not really sure though
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39070 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note all the devices on your coin are moving SW, just like you would expect to see from die wear. Pretty common event on the Steel cents. The steel planchets working with steels dies, tends to break them down faster. Thus the switch back to copper in 1944.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
543 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you find this one again can you post an image of the edge of the coin.

It should show slightly rusty striations, top to bottom, since these were originally plated before they were punched out of the sheets of metal. It is normal for them to show these striations if they haven't been replated.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Petespockets55.here are the edge pictures you requested. Do they look like this was coated/plated at one time? The lighting can sometimes be deceptive.

Edited by BuyGuns
09/12/2019 11:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
543 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice clear images. Thanks.
The edge looks plated and I'm not seeing signs of lightly rusted lines going from obv to rev so it is not original. Notice the small areas of missing plating on the edges. Also be aware that sometimes the rusty lines will show through the re-plating! So look for any signs of plating on the edge.

Hardly any sellers include images of the edge but they are critical. That's why getting a "steelie" after an in-hand look is important.
(ps. I wonder how many slabbed coins might be "nicely" replated since we can't see the edges.)
Edited by Petespockets55
09/13/2019 09:13 am
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No problem. Typed response and big thumbed and it disappeared. Uhhh. Hate that. Anyway, yes. I agree. Looks not promising. But a pocket change cost for this will not ruin my day. Lol. It's all good. I will look into this more. If I find any more info I will post here. Looking at other steels was no help. Some looked same, others not so much. Nice errors though. Keep it around. Many more to work through. I like coins that are a challenge. May need some pro fixing such as conservation, but payoff could be good. Learning curve. But hey... no risk, no victory. This steel is not getting any fixing or submitting. They will laugh. Lol. Appreciate your input.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05