Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grade Opinions On This 1858 Half Dollar

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  8:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Numisto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Just want some grading opinions on this 1858 half dollar I recently picked up. Definitely the nicest one that I've held in my hands (by the rims only), but that's not saying much!

Please let me know.

Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddyknuckles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A beautiful coin no matter what the crew says yet to get a seated half myself dont know much about grading to give an opinion as far as grade just an amazing coin I felt needed to give you props for.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5648 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unc. Details Cleaned
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7049 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coin looks ms with good luster and a ton of clash marks throughout both the obverse and reverse fields.

unfortunately the coin looks wiped and it appears to be borderline cleaned. looks like a coinflip as to whether this gets detailed due to surface marks at a TPG.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17898 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see enough rub on the left side of the shield on the reverse, and the rubbed fields on the obverse to put this at an AU-58. But wait. The area on the shield and eagles beak is from slightly less than a strong strike,not circulation. The fields are not marred from rub, but from cleaning. But it has definitely been cleaned and I'd bet it was done with an eraser. I very much doubt it would ever TPG righteous.

Uncirculated, details, cleaned. Eye Appeal 7/10.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15994 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  06:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7767 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to agree with Unc details
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42060 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, Unc. details. Shame.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
540 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go UNC Details Cleaned. But, on picture two it looks like nice lustre on my screen. so it may in fact grade out at MS-61 or 2. because the lustre is dull. That said, I would still love to have it in my collection. What a beauty.
Edited by GMS5
09/11/2019 11:25 am
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. Pretty consistent opinions. If it goes Unc details, I think I'll still be happy. If I send it in, I'll follow up on this thread when I know. Though, I think a submission is months off.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42060 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck and keep us informed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7049 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also think it is a nice looking coin. congrats and thanks for sharing.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18163 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS details, an old cleaning. Great type coin if you got it for a good price.
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Results are in. You all were consistent and I think I agreed with you. Lucky for me, the TPG didn't!

I have to say, recently I saw a Seated dime that looked quite heavily wiped and it was graded MS 62. That gave me more hope.

Valued Member
Canada
287 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Looks wiped to me. Congrats!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42060 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me too, but there you go. Congrats!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05