Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are Black Beauties Black Through And Through?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  02:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kawliga to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I understand sintering involves over-heating the planchets before pressing, but does it darken the whole thickness or just the surface? Like if you took a black beauty nickel and carved a divot out, would it be dark like the surface, or the normal nickel lighter gray?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9988 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  03:00 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a big question. Do you have one you are willing to sacrifice to find out?

It depends on what you think the reason is for the color. I believe it is an alloy problem, so the color should be uniform throughout. External explanations like sintering don't lend themselves to that.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15778 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  06:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know that artificially darkened nickels are black, because they have been heated. If you take a divot out of the surface of one of these, the metal underneath is perfectly white.
I know.
I have fooled around with deliberately blackening copper nickel coins (Australian 20 Cents coins) on a kitchen stove.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11436 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow great question . While I have never cut one in half I have to say yes they would be the same color Greyish Black cobalt as the face of the coin because of a wrong alloy mix.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16973 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Black beauties are nothing more than environmental damage 99.9% of the time. Usually from heat.

Whoever started the myth that they are special should eat a few dozen.
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I tried eating a few, all I did was spit out 1922 "Plain" Lincolns. Nothing special.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11436 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Black beauties are nothing more than environmental damage 99.9% of the time. Usually from heat.

I could put up some argument with you on your comment but I'll reframe myself because I know that they surely do exist . Why are there so many 1959-P Jefferson nickels dark in color and rumor has it that there are a couple of more dated Nickels that claim to be BB's . Are you saying that a bunch of guys had a crazy idea to heat up only 1959-P Nickels .WOW ,that is a mind blower because every BB that I ever commented on or came across had the exact same characteristics ( color, Hue, and texture ). Hmm , Now for the Grand finally : How is it that I was able to obtain 3 or 4 rolls of 1959-P dark grey/ black cobalt Jefferson nickels back In 1961 & 1962 . I'm just not able to take photos of them ,they've also been buried in a crawl space for the last 58 years . Those of you who know me know that I'm not a BS'er ! Sorry Mox but I'm just expressing what I believe to be the truth behind genuine BB's . I am in NO way saying that fake heat treated Nickels are not out there ,of cause they are .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1442 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was afraid of this...

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16973 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No offense taken, T-Bop

If you could demonstrate that the coloration was more than skin deep I would happily apologize for my incorrect opinion.

But I've cut more than a few, including the more gun metal gray of many 1959, and every one, without fail, is normal nickel color inside.

If that remains true, that the discoloration is only surface deep, then something must have happened AFTER the coin was minted.

I'm sure you don't believe that the mint added a layer on the exterior of the planchet which discolored in that way.

So show me a cut black beauty that's black inside and I will happily acknowledge that I've learned something new.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11436 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For now we'll let the mystery lie undisputed by both of us until scientific evidence can be established . For now this is still an open case , Agree my friend ?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16973 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to take so long to reply T-Bop, but of course.

We have way more fun disagreeing with one another
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
air to alloy gets me every time
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05