Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ramatanka Found With Grandfather's Indian Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  2:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 19031971 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Could someone please give more info on this token please
We are starting to believe this is gold as it was with other valuable coins... Would love to know more or if its a copy
Thanks all

Pillar of the Community
United States
4104 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never seen a gold piece with that much circulation wear/damage. Perhaps a temple token?
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 19031971 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply and welcome..
We understand this is a temple token but have no idea if this is a modern copy or an original ancient coin.. As I said this was in with several sovereign coins separate from the silver rupees and other old indian currency... It must be over 100 years old we think
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10174 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Learn More...
Australia
13138 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To my knowledge, "temple tokens" were not made from gold, and this piece does not look like gold, nor even silver; the yellowish colour is because it is made from a kind of brass, which was commonly used for temple tokens in the 20th century. The black toning also indicates it's a form of brass.

I can't explain why it was placed with the more valuable coins, as it has minimal value from a collector viewpoint; perhaps out of sentiment, or personal significance? These pieces have significant ritual use in the homes of devout Hindus, and this piece certainly seems well-used.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2327 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly no older than the late 40s. This design has Rama & Sita sitting on a divan at their wedding. The divan itself is depicted as a series of dots, similar in effect to pointillism in art. This is a developement seen mostly in the latter part of C20th.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2730 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
similar in effect to pointillism in art. This is a developement seen mostly in the latter part of C20th
If you're referring to "pointillism" on coins being a 20th century thing, go look at the "Kashmiri Rulers from the 9th and 10th centuries" thread to stop this idea. This "pointillist" style is all over Indian coinage.

That said, I'm not very familiar with the history of temple tokens - in theory it's possible that they only started that style in the later 20th century. I very much doubt this, however.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12750 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This "pointillist" style is all over Indian coinage.

Yes true, but I think that the point that @alganbagerap was making was that for these temple tokens, certain details (like the divan) became simplified or degraded in design over time and more specifically during the last half of the 1900s.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2327 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @Spence.
I am extremely familiar with Ramatankas having at one time over 130 in my collection. Of those, I could only be certain of the authenticity of one. The divan was usually represented as a thin rectangle of solid outline with occasionally a dotted divider.
On the earlier tokens, the only "dots" to be seen were as part of the headdress adornments of Ram, Sita, Lakshman, Bharat and Shatrughan. As the workmanship became steadily more degraded it became common to see "dots" everywhere, particularly on the upper body costumes.

At the time of writing I'm trying hard to find the text of an article by Robert Puddester which explains the nuances of detail far better than I could. It will be posted when found.
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 19031971 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your time... Coin value has no importance just sentimental value..
Really getting into going through the collection and looking forward to all of your valuable knowledge
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05