Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Old Safe Find

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1966 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  6:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The safe probably holds more than one of these precious dollars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1795-Drape...AOSwgqNdfVp0
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17440 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep. Probably hundreds in a made in China safe.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41384 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We spot the ones we see here, but how many others are sold out there every day?
Valued Member
United States
496 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From a safe alright. On board a Chinese cargo freighter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
611 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller is being real defensive....saying know it all---smarty pants (different word)...but he's not asking the right questions or any questions at all.....He's not asking well how do you know? What makes you so sure? He's going right to the defensive like a guilty person trying to deflect as long as they can. He knows it's fake. That I'm sure....I had to check with the good seller feedback etc....give him the benefit of the doubt, but now I'm convinced.
Edited by DoctorBurnzy
09/14/2019 9:25 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15892 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why on Earth would anyone want to sell such a valuable coin (if genuine) on eBay, without an independently verifiable provenance?

At this price level, why use eBay at all?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1966 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sel, here is his $95 competition

eBay is a cyber souvenir shop

"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
09/14/2019 9:43 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41384 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sel - Because there's always that small chance that an ignorant soul will hit on it. Zero cost bet for the many crooks among us.
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And I know where you can find a safe that was once owned by Al Capone. I'm sure it is full of rare coins. Just ask Geraldo.
Pillar of the Community
United States
611 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller is swearing at me now so I reported him on that and the coin being a fake. I hope that helps to shut him down for a bit. He had the audacity to tell me one of my items was a fake....a comic book....one that is graded by CGC and encapsulated in one of those heavy duty holders. I just told him to have a good day and hopefully his item and himself were removed soon.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41384 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's critical that all forum members post items that appear to be counterfeit so the rest of us can evaluate and report them as well. Repeat offenders will eventually be banned on eBay.
Edited by Coinfrog
09/14/2019 10:39 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17440 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too many illegitimate coins appear so frequently that it would be a 70 hour a week job to nail them all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
596 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  06:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's critical that all forum members post items that appear to be counterfeit ...

Well I'd like to, but I no longer use eBay. For anything.

My suggestion is that no one else use it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
611 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and Ebay removed the item....
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Hicks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup! It is gone!
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Who was the seller, was it that "found in 200 year old safe" guy, TheDocktor or some such? I grilled that guy once on a fake coin, and he kept coming back w/ non-responses like "yep, I'm just a nice old retired guy, found 'em all in this old safe..."
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05