Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943 D LWC : Original Or Plated?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  11:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know that if there is shine on the '43, it is most likely plated...
I have added in a 1943 P that I know is plated for comparison on 2 images...

What do you think on the 1943 D?
It seems too nice... ? LOL

I have full shots of obv/rev and a few close-ups...will upload if needed. (all I can upload at the moment with uploader going so slow

Edited by Eyes4Error
09/17/2019 2:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got 1 more image uploaded...

As to get a better view of the obv close up, where there is normal wear on Lincoln...

Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1060 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  12:22 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like original surfaces to me. Most rezinced Lincolns seem to have a blue hue. They also tend to be too smooth or even have a polished look over the entire coin. I don't see this on your coin.

Let's see what the REAL experts have to say. I could be wrong on this one.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
United States
29447 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need to see the edge.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11593 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't have the characteristics of a reprocessed or plated 43 . AS John said let's see a pic of the edge of the coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41293 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks original to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4224 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close call.
A carefully stored 1943 LWC can look that good with original surfaces.
The one in my type set is slabbed NGC MS-66 and looks about the same.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Evan7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking Cent
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I got some shots of the rim... but in looking further at that on the back side I see some shine surface on a more dull surface reverse. Does this mean it was partially plated on one side or that the lamination is wearing away? And maybe some wear on the rim edge side shot?

Now I am even more unsure on this coin?

Yay, uploader is fixed!
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are 2 close ups of the areas effected on the REV....

Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Still In Circ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks original to me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29447 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If original,why is the edge so shiny? These coins were punched from a sheet that was plated on both sides. The edges should be bare steel looking somewhat dull or rusted.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24550 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I question this one. Why is there light colored areas on that coin?
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
Machine Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Split Plate Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/357614
2000 P LMC With Retained Struck Through error. http://goccf.com/t/357080
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi EV...

Now after seeing that shine/no shine on the reverse... I have even more questions?
Is that perhaps plating that fell off? Maybe saved those spots retained, because they seem a bit more depressed on the surface... ? If that makes sense?

Maybe a formerly plated coin with wear?
Edited by Eyes4Error
09/17/2019 4:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if plating is in fact the case... it would be amazing if all plating would fall away to reveal the original finish...

Hoping it is not plating... but I am in question.
Edited by Eyes4Error
09/17/2019 10:48 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05