Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2016 P Roosevelt Dime - Dryer Or Hammered Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
35 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  01:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AliLyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I was hoping to get an opinion on this dime. Is it a dryer coin or has it been hammered down, or something else? It looks like a DDR on back torch and olive branches but possibly from PMD, or possibly not?
I am new to this, so I apologize if I refer to something incorrect, I have never found a DDR or DDO myself but it appears like one here with the naked eye, but I also read all the 2016 coins were full of errors, in all denominations..so I figured I'd check with the pros regarding the collar before sending closeups.

Thanks in advance,
Ali

United States
35 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AliLyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The edge just looks so smooth and clean like a nickel, and not tampered but like I said, I'm a newbie
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It look evenly hammered around the edge, removing the reeds and causing the extra wide coin rim...

That's my opinion... but I'd wait for some other feedback ;)
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  01:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In fact, you can actually see some of the reeding pattern that was formerly on the rim that is now flattened down...
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AliLyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It almost looks like letters too on collar (edge/rim) but I haven't taken any closeups of that yet to confirm and figured I'd ask first before "investigating" more, and literally have to look at every definition of every thing possible lol and find out if dryer or hammer first
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  01:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AliLyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It almost looks counterfeit, lol but I've never seen a coin hammered down either
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AliLyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you eye4error for your quick feedback
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1611 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  01:27 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!

The coin didn't leave the mint like that. The rim has been "hammered" or "spooned." It really looks like someone worked the metal up and smoothed it with some type of machine.

It could be a dryer coin, but if it is, it seems to have only traveled in a tighter and tighter circle to build the edge up like that.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13982 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Bawillis, first welcome to CCF. Second, for sure this is damage--the unresolved question is how was it damaged. When the enlarged rim is smooth (like yours), we usually call these dryer coins. When it has a more pebbly texture, then we say that it has been spooned. In reality, it could be either of these things (or something else).
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Edited by Spence
09/17/2019 04:52 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42908 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I lean toward deliberate alteration.

to the CCF!
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AliLyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone, this will help me in future when I see similar damage. I forgot I had this big jar from the 80's in the back of my closet I used for change. Hopefully I'll find something out of it. It'll be fun anyways

Pillar of the Community
United States
1829 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It hasn't been spooned and it's not a dryer coin. It was rolled and squeezed in the horizontal plane in an automated or hand-cranked mechanical device. Such devices are sometimes used to reduce the diameter of pipes so they can fit into the end of another pipe.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24824 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a damaged coin, PSD. Mike nailed it.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
Machine Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Split Plate Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/357614
2000 P LMC With Retained Struck Through error. http://goccf.com/t/357080
Edited by Errers and Varietys
09/18/2019 2:16 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05