Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are Some Of You Using Coin Microscopes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  08:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Webs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good morning everyone!

I have watched numerous YouTube videos where people are going through rolls of coins and find something that needs to be viewed in greater detail. Many times they "put it under the microscope" and indeed, you can definitely see the necessary details.

I have a 40X loupe, but find it hard sometimes to see what I want to see with enough lighting getting through from the loupe. So, I wondered it some of you have a coin microscope and what model you have. I see a number of them on Amazon for under $100,but wanted input from the Community.

Webs
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a stereoscope. Mine is an Amscope and works well, it has wide field lenses. I looked for a model number but it's not on there lol. I've had it for a long time, so no idea what model it is. However, it is similar to this model...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AmScope-Du...AOSwebldcuvK

I have 10x wide field, 20x, 30x and 50x lenses for it.

You don't want to go crazy with magnification.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29547 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I have two. Celestron 4403 and a low end AmScope usb digital microscope. The Celeston was around $70 many years ago and the other was less than $20. Whatever one you choose you will have a big learning curve with the lights. Lots of practise required. I get good results with a point-n-shoot digital camera and use it as much as possible instead of the microscopes. A 40x jewelers loupe is way too much,14x max. A doublet is ok, but a Hastings triplet is the way to go.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
09/17/2019 09:58 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
525 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a Plugable USB 2.0 Digital Microscope with Flexible Arm Observation Stand for Windows, Mac, Linux (2MP, 250x Magnification)
I also use a Celestron INFINIVIEW LCD DIGITAL MICROSCOPE. for taking close up pictures.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4144 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too, use an amscope. But youtube coin vids drive me nuts. About the time I'm focused, on say, an RPM, the operator pans to something else.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17556 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's always good to remember that if you need a microscope to distinguish minute differences in a variety or error, it's probably not significant enough to be of much value, other than the thrill of the search.

We have folks who show us billboard size photos to show what they think is a variety or error. More times than not, it's neither.

While I appreciate the enjoyment of taking HD macro photos myself, some caution should be mentioned in regard to the value of such insignificant irregularities.
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Webs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input! I will keep watching for a couple days to see if anyone else has anything to add.

Regarding the magnification, I have found it very helpful to have 40X available...not so much at this time for minute errors, but rather better identification for these 65-year old eyes. It was helpful in identifying three 1859 large cents (one re-engraved and one over 1958), for instance.

And I will get one that has a USB connection. As much as anything, I want to be able to simply put a coin under the scope and see the picture on a computer screen.

Also, I could see the usefulness of a Celestron (GMSS) if I was going to sell coins online or if they were valuable enough to be insured.
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Webs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before anyone feels the need to post it, I meant 1858 not 1958, LOL.
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Having wide field lenses helps because you can see the whole coin. The higher magnifications are only useful for confirming errors or varieties and sometimes looking closely at the surface of the coin.

I use a Bausch and Lomb loupe triplet Hastings for nickels and larger. I use the scope for dimes, cents and small stuff like that. I just find that easier.

Have to say I paid about $150 when I got mine, it has a camera for photos and a regular filament lamp, I have never regretted the purchase and wouldn't be without it now.
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Check NPCoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NPCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By way of microscopes, I use a generic 2MP usb microscope and view it on a 40" HDTV I have connected to the computer. I also have an old 40x stereo microscope I use occasionally, but that more of a curiosity to my many accumulations than anything.

However, my preferred method is not a microscope, but magnifying glasses. The set I have uses interchangeable strengths from 2.5x to 25x. It allows for free movement of the hands, and you can even completely remove a lens and allow for normal vision with one eye, and magnified vision with the other. I like this because it allows me to quickly look at a reference and immediately view the coin in hand at the same time. Or even to compare two varying magnifications.

Edit:
I normally view coins directly under a good light source and have little problems with these glasses with regards to light. But, in those rare occasions where it may be needed, they also have their own LED light source for each eye (the same light source many USB microscopes utilize).
Edited by NPCoin
09/17/2019 10:05 pm
Learn More...
United States
77458 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However, my preferred method is not a microscope, but magnifying glasses...
Very interesting. Something to consider. Thank you for sharing!
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Webs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm finding an Amscope 20X/40X/80X binocular scope with 2 MP camera with USB, but it is $231. I saw a less expensive version, but it was only a 0.3 MP camera.

I liked Celeron (have a 5 MP camera)...was $125.....but the reviews said that in order to see anything well, you needed to send it to the computer, constantly plugging & Unplugging the USB cable. They said the Celeron attached LCD screen did not have enough resulution.

So I will wait for awhile before buying anything.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13184 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Celestron
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18574 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's always good to remember that if you need a microscope to distinguish minute differences in a variety or error, it's probably not significant enough to be of much value, other than the thrill of the search.

I couldn't have said it any better. I know some are error happy, but I'll just stick to a normal coin.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05