Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1849 Braided Hair Cent -- Weight Is 11.51g Instead Of 10.89g -- Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  6:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add orrinw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello folks, today I received a 1849 Braided Hair cent from an eBay seller (100% positive feedback), price was about $26, looks like VF or EF details but with a few minor dings.

The specs say diameter should be 27mm. It's about 27.7mm.

The specs say it should weigh 10.89g. It weighs 11.51g.

Could someone kindly opine on whether my coin is within specs?

I see there are sellers in China who are selling 'copies' for $12. Discouraging.

Thanks for any comments.

Orrin in NE California
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13063 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Discouraging.

Yes very. Any chance of you posting pictures of the front and back of this piece? Thanks and welcome to CCF.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41234 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics or a link would really help.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9019 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF orrin. Please do post photos or a link to the original auction. There are some folks that are very knowledgeable about coppers on this site.
Member SSDC, TNA
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orrinw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for replies! Here are my photos of the coin, plus portions of the eBay listing. ... I weighed the coin on two different digital scales, and they both say 11.5g +-0.05g.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2377 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
27.5 diameter and 10.89 weight when minted. I would think the weight would be less not more with wear. Coin looks ok but unless scales are off I am not sure about it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8228 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The planchet thickness (and weight) for late date Braided Hair cents varied quite a bit from Mint specifications during production. I have seen plenty of late date large cents with both thicker and thinner planchets. I'll weigh some of mine later for more data to see how closely it compares. The coin itself looks perfectly fine to me, I don't see any obvious signs of it being a fake.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9199 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks fine. Diameter is good. Allowable mint tolerance on weight was up to 11.34 grams. You're good.
ANA #R3154474
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orrinw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the analysis and comments. I think I came to the right place.

Orrin
Edited by orrinw
09/18/2019 12:11 am
Learn More...
United States
77064 Posts
Valued Member
United States
487 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice looking Braided Hair Large Cent. If you determine the Newcomb variety on it let us know.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7544 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good to me, welcome !
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
7088 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
+1
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17831 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any red flags with this one.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05