Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1893-S Morgan Dollar - Authentic? Issues?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  2:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rum_n_cola to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking to purchase this coin as a filler for Morgan mint mark/ date set. What grade would you give this? It appears to be authentic. I do not have in hand so cannot use die make in liberty to confirm. Does this appear to have environmental damage? Any and all info is appreciated. Thank you.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9019 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Date position - wrong
mint mark position - wrong

No need to look for the bunny ears....

Member SSDC, TNA
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17351 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake. Even if you didn't check the diagnostics, the wear pattern on obverse versus reverse is impossible.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41288 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Terrible fake. Unless you're an expert, this is the kind of coin you don't want to buy raw.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4650 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would not touch it with a 10-foot pole. Date wrong + mm wrong = fake !
Pillar of the Community
United States
3157 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you out of your mind buying a raw key date? Especially since your asking us if its ok.......don't do it. Buy a slabbed one
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7547 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
10 foot pole
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are you out of your mind buying a raw key date? Especially since your asking us if its ok.......don't do it. Buy a slabbed one

Given the propensity of slabbed fakes, nobody should be buying before they know the series. Buy the book before the coin, knowledge is king and I don't trust the slabs anymore.
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rum_n_cola to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate the responses. My gut told me it was a fake as it looked off. When I'm hand I'm really good with Morgan's. Though online purchases I have been burned as I'm not the best with photos. The coin ended up selling for $1400. It is now someone else problem. In person I have a loop and immediately look for die mark on this coin as well as date alignment to denticles. Just could not tell from photos and know others are much better. You all are the best!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05