Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Storing Coins In Non Temperature Controlled Location

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
247 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  8:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Double J to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a large jewellers safe(think fridge size) and it's located in a garage that doesn't have temperature control. I'm in Toronto and was wondering if anyone knew if I would be risking the condition of my coins if I decided to store them in it.

Appreciate any feedback...and moving the safe or renovating the garage isn't an option.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2471 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From a conservation viewpoint ... NO

From a security viewpoint ...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11611 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe so . load it up with humidity controlling silica , but as mentioned Security may be a concern .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2465 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
heat and humidity, are some of a coins worst enemy, for keeping them in mint states.. if the garage is going to experience big temperature swings, you will be risking the condition of your coins.. I would advise against it.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4225 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
load it up with humidity controlling silica

Definitely do at least this.
Humidity is more of an enemy than temperature.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18556 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Safe storage of any kind is not to good.

Quote:
humidity controlling silica

The problem with this is those eventually fill and are no longer any good. I've done that in a gun case and forgot to check and they eventually filled and spilled all over the bottom of the place. Worse than if not used at all. If you use those you have to remember to change them a lot. And remember the air you have in that case will stay there until you reopen the thing. You should really find a place in your house for any valuables.
just carl
Valued Member
Canada
247 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Double J to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, thanks for all the input.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05