Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Picked Up 1820 Harp Token At A Garage Sale Some Help Needed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1662 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  8:32 pm Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i picked this up at a garage sale for $5 I dont really know my tokens yet so any info would be helpful such as type grade/value
if I were to guess a grade I would say VF? thanks

please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add inconnu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a nice bust and harp token There are varieties I believe, I suck at grading tokens though. I hope some of our more knowledgeable members can help you out.
Valued Member
Canada
350 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  12:53 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you hit the jackpot on your $5. That is LC-60E4 which is marked as "very rare" in my older token book (7th edition Charlton). Despite the overall look of the token, I'd say it looks better than the example in the book and would give it an AU. You can only see by the slight difference in colour on the eyebrow, several leaves, and on the ends of the flaps that there is any wear. On the reverse, the wear shows a little on the torso, breasts, face and a few spot on the top of the harp.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41482 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice buy, congrats!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1662 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i did an ebay sold for search and found this listing 273922146568
is this the same as mine?
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Valued Member
Canada
384 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not an expert, but based on my Charlton guide I agree with TerryT that it is LC-60E4. Nice find! Not sure about the grade.
gidjit that listing does look like the coin you have.
Edited by Cdncoins
09/19/2019 8:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2255 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't tell you the specific variety (I have very few of these and it's not my area of interest), but I can tell you that these imitations were so crudely made that regular grading standards don't apply.

see below an MS60 example, while not the same variety as yours, it does relate to grading standards for this series

for $5 I would be VERY pleased, in fact you should probably go drop the guy another $20 just so you can sleep at night!
Edited by Wade
09/19/2019 9:10 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05