Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Elagabalus Coin I Bought 20 Years Ago, And One I Bought Yesterday

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  8:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add skeltner to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello coin collectors! I bought these two coins, one years ago and one just yesterday. I haven't really made a study of these coins, though that's not to say I do not appreciate their history, as that's exactly why I bought these coins.

To hold around 2000 years of history in the palm of your hand is simply awe inspiring, and I have long been fascinated by the Roman era, and so I wanted something I could hold that could sort of connect me to it. And thus I bought a couple of coins. What I didn't know until last night is how much these are faked, and how good they can look to someone like me, who simply doesn't know what they are doing or what they are getting into. So, I hope I'm not about to become another cautionary tale.

This first coin I bought back in college off of eBay. I think I paid somewhere under $50 for it. I believe it is a coin featuring Elagbalus. I was hoping I might trouble you folks to share your wealth of knowledge on this subject and give me a guess as to if it's authentic or not? The monetary loss isn't important at this point, but I don't want to believe I have something real when I have a fake. I took some photos of the front and back of the coin, and a few using my USB microscope. The coin melts ice on contact at a surprising rate, which I've read is one detail that can help. Hopefully this is enough to get an idea:

This second coin featuring Marcus Aurelius I bought off eBay yesterday, and it's been graded by NGC. Until I read a post on this forum, I thought NGC was authenticating coins, but it seems they don't guarantee authenticity and simply try to not grade suspect coins. Hopefully I didn't buy a lemon here!

I know there's more to authenticating than can be done in photos like these, but I'd really appreciate any feedback you guys could provide. Thank you all for your time!
Edited by skeltner
09/19/2019 9:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4408 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No red flags for me. Both are quite nice.

Welcome to the board.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15872 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have three denarii of the Severan Dynasty, that look like they were made yesterday. My coins all came from very reputable dealers, and other than the fact that they look to be new, I can find no other reason to doubt their authenticity.
My coins seem to have rather much the same fabric as those pictured.

There may be two reasons for the OP's coins to appear to be generally similar in fabric:-
1. They all came from the same hoard that may have been discovered in the last 20 years or so, or
2. they may have all come from the same modern manufacturer.

I share some of your concerns. I have only very little doubt the authenticity of my coins, but I have deliberately allowed my mind to remain open.

If the coins prove to be modern fakes, it may very well be that they have been made by exactly the same minting methods that the Romans used.
that makes them very difficult to express the opinion That they definitely are fake.
Learn More...
United States
22567 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

Two very nice genuine coins.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add skeltner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your welcome's, replies, and feedback! I'm glad and relieved to hear the coins look good.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2340 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both are nice coins. $50 for the Elagbalus is probably full price but you didn't pay way over the odds or anything. Lots more Emperors to buy now... ;)
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add skeltner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bacchus! I wondered if the coin had valued what I paid. Sounds like 20 years ago when I bought it, it was probably overpriced. Nevertheless, the money spent is insignificant to it being genuine. I'm proud to get the chance to take care of it on this leg of its long journey. I have no doubt it will touch multiple lives beyond mine and I just have to make sure it gets to the next person in its proper time.
Edited by skeltner
09/20/2019 11:40 am
Learn More...
United States
77153 Posts
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add skeltner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I may ask one other question, the NGC Marcus Aurelius coin says "Issued as Caesar". Does that indicate it was issued prior to him becoming emperor? If so, is that something often seen or does it make a coin more or less scare/sought after in the collecting community?
Edited by skeltner
09/20/2019 5:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2712 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@skeltner, quite a few Roman emperors started as Caesar and ended up as Augustus if they didn't end up murdered. For some Caesars, one or the other is more rare. In the case of Marcus Aurelius, there is little difference according to one of my books.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05