Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uncirculated Quarters

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  6:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bjbrown1989 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My husband inherited his father's coin collection and several of the packaging the coins are in have been exposed to moisture and mildew. What would be the best route to save the collection? Should I take the uncirculated coins out of their packaging?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17351 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carefully remove the coins from the 2x2's being extra careful not to scratch the coins from the staples.

Usually it's better to use a pointed object near the edge of the plastic to open the plastic only.

Replace them in New 2x2's and copy the information to the new holders.

You are very wise to have asked first.
Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!

I'd also add to chose a proper place to store them lest they'll return to their current state.

Thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2459 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hopefully all the mildew, is on the folders, and sleeves.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13080 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Should I take the uncirculated coins out of their packaging?

Yes definitely, being careful as outlined above. I would add that despite the "Brillian Uncirculated" stamp on the 2x2s, these quarters were not packaged this way at the mint and may actually have been superior specimens pulled from circulation. I agree that you could place them in new 2x2s--just be sure to flatten the staples and remove the entire collection from the humid environment.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
09/20/2019 7:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1666 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins that are spotted or damaged in most cases should just be spent. Those which are still OK should be soaked in isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol (91%) and then rinsed in warm water and gently patted dry with a thick towel. I've seen a lot of coins like this and most can be saved.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Check ThreeLui's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ThreeLui to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with everyone here. We are glad you came here and got advice before doing anything.

Buy some new 2x2s. Make sure you have enough of all the right size and flat staples and put them in new ones. Be careful to not actually touch the faces of the coins or scratch them on the staples. Use a cotton glove if you have on. Hold the coins by their edge. Try not to breath on them too much, you don't wanna sneeze on them or anything

When done, place them somewhere safe. For example, wrap the newly 2x2ed coins in a towel and place them in a box and put them in your closet, but if you're like me and want to look at them instead of just storing them for a long time, place them on a shelf or something you can easily access and look at all the time, just make sure light isn't directly hitting them from a window.

I think that's all. How many of them are there?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18551 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those which are still OK should be soaked in isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol (91%) and then rinsed in warm water and gently patted dry with a thick towel.

NO do not use that stuff to clean those coins. IF at all you want to try cleaning them, use only Acetone and/or distilled water. Saying rinse in warm water is just wrong. Water everywhere is different and in some areas your tap water is filled with either Fluorine, Chlorine and possibly could contain salts. DO NOT use tap water on coins. And as already stated, remove the coins form the present flips and place in new ones. Easily obtainable at almost any coin or hobby store or on line at places like Wizard coin supply of Amazon.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been using scissors to cut the 2x2 just inside the staples and squeeze the edges so the coin falls out on a towel. Looks like you could cut across the top without being near the coin.
I use new 2x2s and staples. They also have "no staple" types too. I use lineman's pliers to flatten the staples from the outside. If this sounds difficult use the "no staple" type. I also like to buy the plastic pocket sheets to hold the coins in 2x2s and I get desiccant packs from Tractor supply. One pack in a big ziplock bag will take care of many sheets of coins. Maybe 100 coins per bag. Good luck.
Edited by Lionel90
09/21/2019 4:32 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12452 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't use the no staple type especially with red copper since that means you're having a bunch of glue right around the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
727 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A decent "flat clinch stapler" is worth the $10 and no pliers are needed to flatten the staple backs. I'd also spend the extra money on coated staples or even stainless steel staples for corrosion resistence in the future.

I don't like the self stick 2x2's because of the adhesive. It could get on the coins, possibly come unstuck years later and the coins drop out when you pick the 2x2 up and don't realize the glue has let go. Maybe I'm too skeptical about the self stick 2x2s but I just don't like or trust them.

Using good scissors to cut off the parts where the staples are so the coin comes out easy and safely is certainly the way to go.

If they were protected and fine inside just transfer them to new 2x2 holders, staple and label them again, but be careful to not touch surfaces sneeze or cough on them ect. Hold them on the edges touching minimally or buy a $5 pair of lint free cotton gloves. It would benefit your respiratory system and the coins to wear a dust/nuisance mask because your dealing with mold dust,abd really shouldn't be breathing that stuff in. Also this will keep a stray cough or sneeze off the coins.

Only if they have been exposed to the mold or rust and need more work to clean them up should you mess with doing it and even then start with distilled water and gently pat (blot) dry with a lint free cloth, if that don't work then try a pure acetone dip (not nail polish remover) and again pat (blot) dry gently. But only do this to the coins that really need to have it done and might really benefit from it. Otherwise just transfer to clean new 2x2 holders and new staples.

If the rusty staples stained the coin, it might be a lost cause, it's hard to get rust stains off and likely just damage the coin even worse to get them off. Of that's the case, probably call those coins a loss and put them into circulation unless they are silver. If they have silver content they are worth more at melt then 25 cents.

After that then it's just keeping them dry and check on them once in a while every (6 months or a year or so, whenever you think it's a good time to take a look at what's going on) for signs of decay of the new 2x2s or staples. If there's any issue starting, change the holders again so it doesn't get that bad as it is right now.

I think it's mostly salvageable. There may be the majority just need new holders, some that would benefit from a distilled water dip or acetone dip, and one or two lost causes, but maybe no lost causes at all. It's bad, but I've seen worse, I don't see termite evidence or rat chews lol.

Edited by Big-Kingdom
09/22/2019 12:01 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05